Thread: Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0xebbafeed)

Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0xebbafeed)

After applying the NoCSO patch to my TivoHD I got this error running ciphercheck:
    I'm thinking back to when I first tried to back up my original drive using WinMFS and a Rosewill SATA to IDE converter, I got an error about "Cannot read Tivo super header!"
    I think I also mounted it using the normal MFSLive cd as well although I didn't write anything to the drive.

Anyway I posted over at MFSLive and Spike said he didn't think WinMFS worked with that adapter. Ok, bought a Rosewill SATA to USB adapter and successfully backed up and restored my drive. Now I get this strange error running 'ciphercheck'.

So is there something borked with my drive and if so, how do I fix it? BTW, everything works fine otherwise on the Tivo - no glaring glitches.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    After applying the NoCSO patch to my TivoHD I got this error running ciphercheck:
    I'm thinking back to when I first tried to back up my original drive using WinMFS and a Rosewill SATA to IDE converter, I got an error about "Cannot read Tivo super header!"
    I think I also mounted it using the normal MFSLive cd as well although I didn't write anything to the drive.

Anyway I posted over at MFSLive and Spike said he didn't think WinMFS worked with that adapter. Ok, bought a Rosewill SATA to USB adapter and successfully backed up and restored my drive. Now I get this strange error running 'ciphercheck'.

So is there something borked with my drive and if so, how do I fix it? BTW, everything works fine otherwise on the Tivo - no glaring glitches.
    There isn't a released version of mfs-utils (where ciphercheck comes from) that understands the 64bit version of MFS on the TiVoHD. I am (slowly) working on a new release that includes mfs64 support, but it isn't ready for prime time just yet. I have something that basically works, but I want to merge the mfs32 and mfs64 versions together into a single release. So, the bottom line is, that error message is normal and ciphercheck (and the rest of mfs-utils) won't work on the TiVoHD just yet.

In the meantime, use drmcheck.tcl.

Odd, I get a similar error when using the 'drmcheck.tcl' you linked to (using mfs_uberexport).
    Code:
    bash-2.02# ./drmcheck.tcl
    DRMCheck.tcl, based on CipherCheck.tcl by AlphaWolf_HK

while executing
    "close $fh"
        (procedure "crypcheck" line 7)
        invoked from within
    "crypcheck $fsid"
        ("uplevel" body line 1)
        invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
        (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
        invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
        set objindex [strim [mfs scan /Recording/LiveCache -start "" -count 1]]
        set fsid [lindex $objindex 0]
        set obj [db $db o..."
        (file "./drmcheck.tcl" line 52)
    If I edit that file to the orig AW using mfs_export, it finishes without error but it says encryption is still on. I did a dd/hexdump "peek" and my NoCSO is where it should be.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Odd, I get a similar error when using the 'drmcheck.tcl' you linked to (using mfs_uberexport).
    Code:
    bash-2.02# ./drmcheck.tcl
    DRMCheck.tcl, based on CipherCheck.tcl by AlphaWolf_HK

while executing
    "close $fh"
        (procedure "crypcheck" line 7)
        invoked from within
    "crypcheck $fsid"
        ("uplevel" body line 1)
        invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
        (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
        invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
        set objindex [strim [mfs scan /Recording/LiveCache -start "" -count 1]]
        set fsid [lindex $objindex 0]
        set obj [db $db o..."
        (file "./drmcheck.tcl" line 52)
    If I edit that file to the orig AW using mfs_export, it finishes without error but it says encryption is still on. I did a dd/hexdump "peek" and my NoCSO is where it should be.
    oops. I forgot that drmcheck.tcl depends on mfs_uberexport, so that's not the solution.

I'm sure drmcheck.tcl could be written to directly extract the "magic number" data from the start of the tystream parts, but right now, I guess you just have to be patient and wait for the release of an mfs64 aware mfs-utils.