Thread: Trickeyplus for software 6.1 and higher

Trickeyplus for software 6.1 and higher

Trickeyplus provides "trickey" functionality (executing commands upon receiving a defined remote sequence) for Series2/3 units.

The first attached zip file contains source and a prebuilt executable for units running software v6.1 and higher. Trickeyplus requires and relies upon the routerplus kernel module, which replaces the stock tivo router.o. You can find routerplus here.

Code:
    Usage: trickeyplus [options]
            Watches for defined remote sequences and executes commands.
            Trickeyplus works with TiVo software v6.1 and higher and
            requires alldeadhomiez' routerplus kernel module,
            see http://www.pvrhax0r.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=51

Options:
              -c <file> Specify configuration file
              -l        List all possible keypress events
              -r <num>  Specify remote number
              -t        Test configuration file
              -v        Verbose mode

trickeyplus 0.8
    Notes:
    1. The options follow those of trickey closely, so I recommend pursuing its readme (attached)
    2. Unlike trickey, trickeyplus runs as a daemon and directs all output to /var/log/trickeyplus
    3. Trickeyplus currently limits you to a maximum of ten tricks, with each trick consisting of no more than ten remote keypresses.
    Last edited by tivo4mevo; 01-05-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Posted Trickey's readme as links to the original Trickey are dead

Some notes about how to use trickeyplus:

1. Transfer over routerplus and trickeyplus files
    2. Install routerplus and reboot to use:
      Code:
      remount
      mv /lib/module/router.o /lib/module/router.orig
      mv /var/hack/router.o /lib/module/router.o
      reboot
    3. Test your configuration file syntax
      Code:
      ./trickeyplus -vt -c /path/to/trickeyplus.conf
    4. If the reported tricks look correct, start trickeyplus
      Code:
      ./trickeyplus -v -c /path/to/trickeyplus.conf
    5. Press some remote keys and then check the log
      Code:
      cat /var/log/trickeyplus
      Received remote event  27 (CLEAR)
      Executing trick Date
      Sun Dec  2 20:41:59 UTC 2007

Other points
    1. Unless you specify a remote number, trickeyplus will respond to events from all remotes.
    2. If you don't specify a configuration file, trickeyplus looks for a file named "trickeyplus.conf" in its current directory.
    3. The trickeyplus daemon registers its pid in /var/run/trickeyplusd.pid, so you'll need to kill this pid and restart trickeyplus after an update to your conf file. You can always reboot as well.

I can't believe this has been up for a year and I completely missed it. Thanks tivo4mevo for an incredibly useful tool. I'd like to point out that my cidtv script works really well with this - if you have caller-id you can check your recent calls right from your remote.

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post
    Trickeyplus provides trickey functionality (executing commands upon receiving a defined remote sequence) for Series2/3 units.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Perhaps more fanfare was needed?

I actually wrote trickeyplus in response to the wake-on-lan discussion: link, but I've also used trickeyplus with RedDog's zoom-mode script for the HR10-250 (link).

incompatible with sendkeyplus?

Hey tivo4mevo - I just noticed recently that while trickeyplus is running, I can't send keystrokes with sendkeyplus. Is there a workaround for this, or do I have to kill the one to use the other?
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

When you say that you can't send keystrokes with sendkeyplus (skp), do you mean that trickeyplus (tkp) doesn't detect keystrokes sent by skp? Or do you mean that the tivo does not receive skp's events (when tkp is running)?

Also, what version of skp are you running and what menus (live tv, UI menus, and HME each have different tvbus listeners) do you see this behavior.

I vaguely remember thinking when I wrote tkp that it might fail to recognize events from skp (the forged serial numbers generated by skp clash with tkp's method for keystroke tracking). The update of skp to v1.1 further complicates things.

If the observed issue is what I mention first above, then the solution may be trivial (skp could be altered to always use a "magic" starting serial number, and tkp could have a bit of hack code to always detect skp injected keystrokes).

If the error is something else, then it might be a different bug entirely.

While tkp was running, the tivo was not receiving skp events. I didn't realize sendkeyplus had been updated though; version 1.1 seems to have cleared things up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post
    When you say that you can't send keystrokes with sendkeyplus (skp), do you mean that trickeyplus (tkp) doesn't detect keystrokes sent by skp? Or do you mean that the tivo does not receive skp's events (when tkp is running)?

Also, what version of skp are you running and what menus (live tv, UI menus, and HME each have different tvbus listeners) do you see this behavior.

I vaguely remember thinking when I wrote tkp that it might fail to recognize events from skp (the forged serial numbers generated by skp clash with tkp's method for keystroke tracking). The update of skp to v1.1 further complicates things.

If the observed issue is what I mention first above, then the solution may be trivial (skp could be altered to always use a "magic" starting serial number, and tkp could have a bit of hack code to always detect skp injected keystrokes).

If the error is something else, then it might be a different bug entirely.