Thread: S2 machine 'sleeper' hack removal

S2 machine 'sleeper' hack removal

I have a series 2 machine, lots of stuff on it from 2004 or so.

I want to get the stuff off of it and WIPE IT OUT AND PUT STD SOFTWARE BACK ON IT.

It was sleeper'ed back then, so I cannot just get it to update, i was told a system update will kill it, so I think back then, I did something to stop the system updates. They downloaded but never applied.

Anyway the machine is running 4.01 i think,it has been a long time.

I also have a copy of InstantCake for S2 machines. Can I just put that on a new drive and put it in the tivo? Then a few calls will upgrade the sw to the latest,.... true?

And if so, how do I get my 200+ hours of video off the machine first? I used to use some kind of special ftp (mfs_ftp?) I think for tivo, and moved them one by one. So I think mfs_ftp rubs on the tivo, then any std ftp will transfer the files as .ty files? I would then need to cvt them to AVI or mpeg2 files correct? What would I use?

I have a TivoHD upgraded to a 1TB disk, so it would be awesome to ftp the old shows off the series 2 INTO the 'Tivo recordings' folder on my tivo desktop PC. Then I could watch them on the TivoHD from the PC!

If only I remembered how to do this stuff, it has been 3 yrs!

Any ideas? Am I one the right track?

There are two possible routes you can take. You can use Instantcake to install a new image on a drive (either the existing one or a new drive). This is the route I would recommend if you are not interested in the recordings on the current drive and already have an image.

If you wish to retain the recordings, you must remove the monte installed by TiVoScripts (aka Sleeper's iso). Upgrading to 6.2 is covered in this thread. If you are running 4.0.1 you must install the loopsets, then the slices to upgrade.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Plainbill, I don't think you read all of my stuff

I do not want to use sleeper, but I had hacked the system using it.

My plan is to use mfs_ftp, already running on the tivo and ftp on my pc, pull all the recordings off

Then, I will use instantcake, I have an old cd of it, and wipe the drive.

I know the os is very old, I know it is hacked, I know i can't get guide data. But if I turn it on, I CAN get to the box with telnet and ftp. I just need the old stuff up long enought to transfer the recordings, then wipe it.

Now, after I get the recordings, they will by .ty files, correct? What do I use to convert them to AVI or MPEG files?

OK, to clear up few misconceptions:
    1. If the receiver is hooked up to a dish you will be able to get guide information.
    2. Extraction and conversion of recordings is handled in the Extraction, Insertion, etc forums.
    3. As you implied, You don't have to upgrade the software to remove the recordings.
    4. IMHO, it is easier to remove the monte installed by TiVoScripts, then upgrade. It is not necessary to remove the recordings. This is particularly true if you were planning on reinserting them to the upgraded drive.

A source of confusion is you haven't clearly stated what you wish to accomplish. Do you want to burn all the recordings to DVD? Do you want to upgrade to the latest software, but don't want to lose access to the recordings? Are you planning on subscribing the DirecTiVo? Are you planning on selling it?

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    A source of confusion is you haven't clearly stated what you wish to accomplish. Do you want to burn all the recordings to DVD? Do you want to upgrade to the latest software, but don't want to lose access to the recordings? Are you planning on subscribing the DirecTiVo? Are you planning on selling it?
    He said he wants to move them to his new TiVoHD.

His original plan sounds okay to me: pull all the recordings off with mfs_ftp. Convert them to mpeg with tytompeg. View or insert them onto the TiVoHD using pytivo, tivo.net or tivo desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    He said he wants to move them to his new TiVoHD.

His original plan sounds okay to me: pull all the recordings off with mfs_ftp. Convert them to mpeg with tytompeg. View or insert them onto the TiVoHD using pytivo, tivo.net or tivo desktop.
    I must be going blonde. I read his post at least three times and missed that.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    OK, to clear up few misconceptions:
    1. If the receiver is hooked up to a dish you will be able to get guide information.
    2. Extraction and conversion of recordings is handled in the Extraction, Insertion, etc forums.
    3. As you implied, You don't have to upgrade the software to remove the recordings.
    4. IMHO, it is easier to remove the monte installed by TiVoScripts, then upgrade. It is not necessary to remove the recordings. This is particularly true if you were planning on reinserting them to the upgraded drive.

PlainBill
    BTW, it isnt a Directivo. It is a Series 2 TIVO branded TCDSomething tivo that connected a single tuner interfaced to a satellite rcvr. The tivo changed the channels on the sat box, rather slowly, but it worked.

I might try the fix/remove sleeper, then upgrade, then let Tivo upgrade the box to the newer version. If I do that, then I can transfer the programs using MRV correct? So all
    program details will move too.

I actually have lifetime on the Series 2 tivo. So I might as well use it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    BTW, it isnt a Directivo. It is a Series 2 TIVO branded TCDSomething tivo that connected a single tuner interfaced to a satellite rcvr. The tivo changed the channels on the sat box, rather slowly, but it worked.

I might try the fix/remove sleeper, then upgrade, then let Tivo upgrade the box to the newer version. If I do that, then I can transfer the programs using MRV correct? So all
    program details will move too.

I actually have lifetime on the Series 2 tivo. So I might as well use it!!!!
    Thanks for clearing that up.

All of my experience has been with DirecTiVos. SA TiVos have certain issues including losing the ability to download the guide if the software is significantly down-level. 4.0.1 is CERTAINLY down-level.

Two potential issues: The first is minor - IIRC, the unmonte procedure I linked to called for the 2.4.4 killhdinitrd kernel. 4.0.1 uses a 2.4.18 kernel.

The second may be more significant. TiVoScripts used a kmem hack to disable encryption. This was not complete on the iso images. The solution was to manually add the second portion of the hack, or to use the more sophisticated NoCSO hack. Recordings made using the kmem hack could not be played using the NoCSO hack until they were cleaned up using the CSOscout? utility.

Obviously, someone who has more experience with SA systems should be consulted.

PlainBill