Thread: Oh my bleeping bleep. DirectSat USA

Angry Oh my bleeping bleep. DirectSat USA

I had an install (I've moved) scheduled for this morning. After a couple hours of waiting, I called DirecTV. They said that according to the work order, the installer tried to contact us to reschedule, but we hung up on them. The CSR gave me the number for DirectSat, and transferred me. And then the fun began.

After waiting on hold listening to some "great" BeeGees music (I hated disco the first time 'round), I got transferred to the "local" operation. Where they hung up on me. So I got to listen to more disco, got the "local" number, called it, waited, and was disconnected after 10 minutes on hold. Rinse and repeat.

Got through to the local call center. They try to get a hold of The (as in only) supervisor for my region. And hang up on me. I call again. Same thing.

Mind you, all I want to know at this point is when the install will happen. That's all, just the new time. But they can't tell me. They do offer to helpfully reschedule me for the end of Jan.

I call DirecTV again, to let them know. They offer to call for me. DirectSat transfers us to someone's cell phone. This time, D* accidentally drops me, but she actually called back and was very apologetic (plus one for D*).

I call DirectSat again; they still can't reach "the only person" who can help me. I ask if I can speak to their manager. DirectSat says sure, but then transfers me to DirecTV.

By now, I've called D* enough that I'm flagged to be routed to the "oh crap" department, which is a plus, since they play classical music while you're on hold instead of the standard D* adverts. This CSR places me on hold, and goes through the same crap that I had been through, and after she had been on hold with DirectSat for 15 minutes, she hung up on them, asked me when I'd like my new install time (I said tomorrow afternoon), and she assured me that the install would happen (she sounded a bit pissed at DirectSat at this point).

So now, I get to see how much control DirecTV can actually assert over their installers. Over-all, my only beef with D* is that they use companies like DirectSat, who appear to be outsourcing to some minor call center, who appear to be outsourcing to local fleets overseen by a single cell-phone wielding supervisor.

The score so far:
    DirecTV: 1 disconnect (with a call-back and appology), poor choice in installers.
    DirectSat: One missed install, 12 (!) dropped calls, one outright lie, and extremely lackadaisical CSRs.

-Jim
    HR10-250, 6.3e, HMO/HME, etc
    HR21
    DVR80, 6.2, hacked, MRV, etc, networked via a hacked WST54GS
    DVR39, upgraded to 250 hours - 3.1.1b 4.0.1b 3.1.1e 6.2, now MRV-only due to a bad sat2 decoder
    2x Hacked XBox for XBMC
    Running Linux since '93.

I can understand DirectSat's dilemma... It takes awhile to obtain a green card for an installer from India, so you just have to be patient. After all they are doing you a "service" that you will be very satisfied with. What a great country America is!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

Well, whether it was a DirecTV magic touch or not, the installer showed up yesterday afternoon. So I'm finally with TV again. The install wasn't too bad. He did a reasonable job of hiding the cables running down from the roof. I had him leave long drops in convenient locations, so I can fish them myself through walls. (The "standard rate" for "custom wall installation" is $50 a drop. )

On a separate note, so far I'm not too disappointed with the HR-21. Searching for shows is pretty inferior, but the system seems fairly responsive. Physically, it's a pretty nice unit.

-Jim
    HR10-250, 6.3e, HMO/HME, etc
    HR21
    DVR80, 6.2, hacked, MRV, etc, networked via a hacked WST54GS
    DVR39, upgraded to 250 hours - 3.1.1b 4.0.1b 3.1.1e 6.2, now MRV-only due to a bad sat2 decoder
    2x Hacked XBox for XBMC
    Running Linux since '93.

These guys are ridiculous! I recently had a new install done and it was so jacked up that I had to have four more service calls done before I actually got tv.
    I had black wires running in the back and front of my home and black wires running up and down throughout my entire home. Splitters were laying in my living room and wires were laid in the tracks of my closet.

I had supervisor after supervisor come out, agree with me, and then say "your wife signed off on this so we can't do anything." This company will not be around in five to ten years because Direct TV will drop them as a contractor...I guarantee this.

Get fat from the business you are getting now Directsat....you will need all you can get before we ruin you online.