Thread: TivoHD high load average...normal?

TivoHD high load average...normal?

I finally got a tivoHD, got the prom socketed (thanks omikron!) and have it up and running. It's been up a few days, upgraded itself to 9.2a a few days ago, but it's been very sluggish the whole time. Load average seems to hover around 4, but looking at top and ps I don't see any obvious culprits. Not running out of memory. I tried setting both tuners to untunable channels to see if it was dependent on recording activity (it wasn't).

I'm not sure what to think. Is this normal? Is there a usual suspect I should be checking?

Quote Originally Posted by angra View Post
    I finally got a tivoHD, got the prom socketed (thanks omikron!) and have it up and running. It's been up a few days, upgraded itself to 9.2a a few days ago, but it's been very sluggish the whole time. Load average seems to hover around 4, but looking at top and ps I don't see any obvious culprits. Not running out of memory. I tried setting both tuners to untunable channels to see if it was dependent on recording activity (it wasn't).

I'm not sure what to think. Is this normal? Is there a usual suspect I should be checking?
    I haven't taken the time to figure out why, but the tivohd kernel has three "swapper" processes that are always in a "D" state (disk wait). This artificially adds 3 to the load average, though they are not really burning CPU.

I did wonder about that a little bit. I saw the 3 swapper daemons and started looking into memory issues. Sounds like I may have a normal operating TivoHD. The UI on the tivo side is definitely sluggish - it feels like a ~150ms latency on remote response, compared to something more like 20 on my S2 Dtivos. I can live with that.

Thanks for the response....