Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best HD DirecTV DVR for hacks?

Mrv?

Interesting.. you say multi-room viewing is in beta. Can you elaborate? MRV is the one thing that has kept me on a SD model. I have 4 SD models that I constantly use room to room.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Join the dbstalk.com forum and look at the "Cutting Edge" subsection. You'll find out everything you want to know about MRV. I do not have the required configuration so it is not a feature I have paid much attention to. I think that, at the moment, you can "play" a remote show only on a H2x (non-DVR) and it is a streaming view, not a copy like TiVo. DVR to DVR viewing is said to be in the works.

I have used the streaming to and from PC and that works well.
    Steve

Multi Room Viewing (MRV)

I have two of the new HR23 HD DVRs and once I got them both on the network with gigabit ethernet cable (wireless was too slow) I have been using the MRV feature beta, and it works pretty well, these units have some slowness on the remote control response times, even using RF instead of IR, with the IR sensor taped over, it still has some slow response, it seems that it is related to the on demand service, as without the network connected it seems faster. Anyway, the playing photos and videos and music from the PC (also in beta I think) it was very bad experience, not able to get any video working with vista or win7 out of the box, and so far two other add on softwares, still looking at third party add/ons for windows to get that working, but otherwise the MRV feature is nice.

MRV only works between the two new HR23 boxes, but any show on either DVR can be watched on either DVR, so all four tuners recording our shows for the famiy, can be watched from either of the two DVR's we have even watched two streamed shows at once, kids streaming a show from the Living room to the Den, while my wife and I streamed a show from the Den to the Living room, and no skips or any problelms. The 30 second slip feature is a little slower on remote viewing.

Questions:

1. How do you change this to 30 second slip to 30 second skip anyone know?

2. Also if you know a good application to get streaming netflix to this box, or other streaming period from the PC with good software for windows 7 let me know, I would like to get that working, because it seems very slow and inconsistent at best.

Cliff

not to slight this site as it was invaluable to me while DirecTivo was hackable, but check this site out. I'm not smart enought to crack any of the new DVR's but anything that can be done with the new ones can be found at the site listed.

Also, sign up for the Cutting Edge.

http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php

the answer to your 30 second slip/skip can be found there too!

Space..... out!
    I had a handle on life, then it broke

I use PlayOn to stream to my HR21. It supports Netflix. You will find lots of discussion of streaming tools at dbstalk.com
    Steve