Thread: Picking up an HR10-250-can I use existing access card?

Picking up an HR10-250-can I use existing access card?

All-

Picked up a HD LCD over the holidays, and made the decision (at least for the time being) to pick up a HR10-250 locally (found one for $70) and stick with the triple LNB dish I have.

The HR10-250 doesn't come with an access card- I was just going to use one from one of the SD non-Tivo boxes sitting around not being used- will this work? Or do I need a card that's specific to the HR10-250, or at least specific to HD?

Thanks!

You can use one of your old cards as long as the particular DirecTV CSR you speak to allows it. They like to say you "must" get a new card for $20, but it's not strictly true. The easiest way to get them to transfer an existing card to your HR10-250 is to tell them the old receiver that the card came from is broken.

Great information- thank you very much!

I recently tried that, saying the previous receiver was broken, and then was allowed to use my old card in a second-hand receiver. This was after unsuccessfully trying to make the swap without saying that with four different reps. If you say that the old receiver is broken, does DirecTV then mark the old receiver as bad in their system? Would they then refuse to activate it if I sold it to someone else, because a broken flag popped up on their system? My guess is no, and that I shouldn't worry about it, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this.

I did this as well. The first line CSR said I would have to get a new card. When they transfered me to the access card department I told them my old receiver was broken (which it was) and they transfered the card.

Good Luck

Boiler_81

Quote Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
    You can use one of your old cards as long as the particular DirecTV CSR you speak to allows it. They like to say you "must" get a new card for $20, but it's not strictly true. The easiest way to get them to transfer an existing card to your HR10-250 is to tell them the old receiver that the card came from is broken.