Thread: A neat trick for hackers

A neat trick for hackers

I spotted this neat little trick over on the mfslive.ord forum, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's great for those of us who will regularly maintain hacks on our Series III TiVo or TiVo HD.

Here's the trick: Swap the little SATA cables inside the TiVo and move the internal drive to an e-SATA enclosure like the Antec MX-1. If you have an external drive, move it to the inside of the TiVo.

Discussion: For me at least, removing the hard drive from my TiVo is always a hassle, especially since I have some minor disabilities which make pulling all the cables and opening up both the TiVo and one of my PCs a little bit difficult and even painful. If the main drive is in the external enclosure, however, I don't have to open anything or remove power from any of my PC drives or anything else. All I have to do is move the eSATA enclosure over about a foot and plug it in to the back of a PC rather than the TiVo, boot up my favorite flavor of TiVo Linux CD, and go to town. The MX-1 even comes with an eSATA bracket for the PC.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Seems like a neat idea. I have one question though, if you move a single drive to the outside will you need to install a large resister on the 12 volt line in order to place load on the power supply? I know with computer power supplies they may not work properly (or be damaged) by have too little of a load.

That shouldn't be a problem. Most external enclosures have their own power supplies so there's no need to mess with adding an additional resistor.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I think we've misunderstood each other.

My point was that removing the internal hard drive completely was too little of a load on the internal power supply. I have let the magic smoke out of a couple power supplies because of this!

edit: Please view this page http://lib.daemon.am/Books/Upgrading...8.htm#Heading7 . Specifically look for the term "sandbar" to see what I mean.
    Last edited by ciper; 02-05-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Gotcha. .
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I did this.

The power supply thing is important.

What I did was put an old 40g sata drive on the internal power supply, NOT connected in any way to the tivo, except by power

That makes it kill a few extra watts