Thread: DoD?

DoD?

http://www.directv.com/dod/dod.html

Anyone played with this yet? I just got it working on my HR20 and it's neat, but the selection of video to download is pretty sparse. Only three items in HD and they were all PPV.

Anyhow - if this pulls the video selection lists from the network rather than the dish, shouldn't it be possible to run your own server that feeds it selections from a local source?

-Zak

I've played with it. The selection is better than it was when they first opened beta tests for it. Lots of TV episodes, but many of the movies are on premium channels or are PPV. Yeah, very little in HD.

If you want to play videos from a local server, that's already there (or coming soon, depending on which model you have.) You can't store them for later viewing, though. I'd expect that the video is encrypted and that the box won't be able to find your local videos.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    If you want to play videos from a local server, that's already there (or coming soon, depending on which model you have.) You can't store them for later viewing, though.
    Hrm... Last I saw, audio and pictures were working but video was not. Any pointers on what to look for here to find out how to get that working? And what format? I have lots of divx or mpg video files, but not many wmv.

Thanks!
    -Zak

I haven't followed that too closely, but it is discussed at dbstalk. Supposedly the CE I got for my HR21 can do it but I have not tried it yet. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    I haven't followed that too closely, but it is discussed at dbstalk. Supposedly the CE I got for my HR21 can do it but I have not tried it yet. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go.
    It works fine but not all codecs are supported as of yet.