Thread: differences in hr20 and hr21

differences in hr20 and hr21

Is it just the OTA tuner? Are there any performance differences or other features that are different?

Even though the HR20 does have OTA tuners, can it still get mpeg-4/hd locals over the satellite?

Lastly, is there a noticeable quality difference between satellite mpeg4/hd locals and the OTA locals? Im concerned that directv may be transcoding the data rate down for the satellite version of mpeg4/hd
    Last edited by opticalcarrier; 01-26-2008 at 02:45 PM.

The OTA tuner is the major difference. The only other items of note are that the HR21 has a two-port Ethernet switch whereas the HR20's second jack does nothing, and the HR21 has coaxial digital audio like the HR20-100 but unlike the HR20-700.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by opticalcarrier View Post
    Is it just the OTA tuner? Are there any performance differences or other features that are different?

Even though the HR20 does have OTA tuners, can it still get mpeg-4/hd locals over the satellite?

Lastly, is there a noticeable quality difference between satellite mpeg4/hd locals and the OTA locals? Im concerned that directv may be transcoding the data rate down for the satellite version of mpeg4/hd
    Under certain circumstances I found the satellite locals virtually unwatchable while the OTA locals were superb. It requires a large background area with a very slight change in color across it. One example would be the fence behind the batter at a baseball park. The compression algorithm would apparently be unable to consistently decide on the correct color. I found the rapid changes to be very distracting. Switching to the OTA tuner solved the problem.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

OK I think ill want a HR20 then. I wonder if I call for an upgrade if they still have any of them left?

Or, maybe I should wait to upgrade? Im thinking that since Tivo and DirecTV are making up that soon there may be a mpeg-4/HD DirecTivo? Is there any news of this?

Zero chance of a new TiVo-based DirecTV box. Don't hold out for that.

DirecTV has announced an ATSC tuner box for the HR21, called AM21. It is said to be available by March and will cost $59. So it's not the end of the world if you get an HR21 and want OTA. HR20s are very hard to come by nowadays and I think, to be honest, that the HR21 is a better overall internal design.
    Steve