Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need prom code for Tivo HD

I am assuming any version number works with any Tivo HD or are there any hardware sub-revisions that will make different versions incompatible? Also, just curious, are these patched to completely skip the kernel hash (faster booting) or do they go through the hash and just not care if it doesn't match? I'd look myself but not knowing anything about assembly I wouldn't be able to tell the difference

Quote Originally Posted by T_RJ View Post
    Good to see you back in the game!
    LOL ya I just got a new setup too. I lost my linux computer that I used to hack with and cross compile with, finally gave up trying to find it so I had to start from scratch. This time my main computer is a quad core, so I've opted to install ubuntu inside of a VM, and I use a SATA/IDE to USB adapter so no more need to even reboot, nevermind shut down my computer every time I need to hack a tivo. In fact I don't even remove the hard disk from the tivo anymore, just remove the cover and hot-plug it right in.

Just recently did an mfstools restore through vmware while I was playing bioshock, didn't even notice a framerate decrease. Multi-core CPU's FTW. I know its a lame brag but its way better than I had before, and I highly recommend this setup to anybody who hasn't tried it

Only thing I need to figure out now is to get a proper cross compiler running under ubunto 9.04. Sadly the build scripts posted here only work on an older version of GCC, and for the life of me I can't get that version running alongside the new version and still have all of the build scripts work properly. GCC can be such a pain...
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 07-24-2009 at 05:49 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

I believe that the publicly available PROM patches/versions skip neither the SHA-1 PROM checksum nor the verification of the kernel signature.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    Only thing I need to figure out now is to get a proper cross compiler running under ubunto 9.04. Sadly the build scripts posted here only work on an older version of GCC, and for the life of me I can't get that version running alongside the new version and still have all of the build scripts work properly. GCC can be such a pain...
    The build_mips_x_compiler.sh script in this post works fine with gcc 4.4.0 and Fedora 10 on x86_64. I just tested it again. I can't speak for versions posted by others later in the thread. The only necessary change is the tivo source urls, which seem to change frequently. Now there is a download subdirectory under linux in their http directory tree.

Last time I checked, it also worked fine under cygwin.

I am assuming any version number works with any Tivo HD or are there any hardware sub-revisions that will make different versions incompatible? ...
    I'm not 100% certain because I 've never tested putting a different version PROM in a TiVo. That said, I vaguely remember someone saying that the 1.04 version PROM for the TivoHD would work in a TiVo that was delivered with the 1.05 PROM code. But that was a couple of years ago so don't quote me, ...

When I recently had the opportunity to work on a couple of TiVo HD's (not XL) that were delivered with PROM version 1.06, I noticed that the electronics on the power supply are significantly different than a power supply in most TiVo HD's with PROM version 1.04. I doubt the power supply differences have any significant bearing on the PROM. However, since TiVo does seem to change some of the internal electronics from time-to-time, it's possible that there may be some incompatibilities somewhere.

cartouchbea

What do you suppose the chances might be that using the wrong version can cause physical damage? I.e. applies the wrong soft voltage setting somewhere.

I've yet to extract my prom from the tivohd so I can't tell what version it has yet, but there's a small chance I might damage the prom during removal (I think I may have damaged one of the 5 tivo proms I've removed before, can't tell for certain, just it doesn't boot with a tivo that I *think* it should boot with whereas the others boot fine.)
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

What do you suppose the chances might be that using the wrong version can cause physical damage? I.e. applies the wrong soft voltage setting somewhere.
    I have absolutely no evidence to prove or disprove that damage can be caused by using a different version of PROM code. My gut feeling is that no damage will occur and I'm fairly confident in that. But once again, I have absolutely no evidence to support or refute that. My biggest concern would be that if the PROM and the hardware weren't "in sync", the PROM code would just freak out or give up and never boot, but I doubt that any damage would occur.

I've yet to extract my prom from the tivohd so I can't tell what version it has yet, but there's a small chance I might damage the prom during removal (I think I may have damaged one of the 5 tivo proms I've removed before, can't tell for certain, just it doesn't boot with a tivo that I *think* it should boot with whereas the others boot fine.)
    It's been my experience that the version that's labeled on the sticker for the PROM has always matched what is "in" the chip. So as long as you can read the sticker you should be pretty confident in what the PROM version is.

cartouchbea

Seems mine is 1.04. I am curious if upgrading it to 1.06 might fix the gray screen problem I keep having.

Seems mine is 1.04. I am curious if upgrading it to 1.06 might fix the gray screen problem I keep having.
    Not sure what that problem is exactly, but my understanding is that once you see the "Almost There" screen, it's done with the PROM. So if it's booting that far, the PROM version probably won't make a difference.

cartouchbea

Quote Originally Posted by cartouchbea View Post
    Not sure what that problem is exactly, but my understanding is that once you see the "Almost There" screen, it's done with the PROM. So if it's booting that far, the PROM version probably won't make a difference.

cartouchbea
    I found that if I pull the prom out while everything is running, the tivo will probably freeze. If I pull it out with a minimal set of services running though (e.g. kill the rc.sysinit very early on) then it can sit there all day with the prom removed. YMMV tho.

I am newbe and I am trying to hack my TiVo HD (1160GB with PROM CBOM 00014-000- V1.05 I am comfortable with electronics SMD soldering
    all I need to be able to use my tivo as a stand alone DVR , and program it myslef would you kindly help me with the code for my PROM and also some hints on where to start my jurney - research .... very much appreciated

Thanks Andy (searchplex@hotmail.com)

Quote Originally Posted by searchplex View Post
    I need to be able to use my tivo as a stand alone DVR
    If you mean use it without having a TiVo service subscription, you won't get any help here. You also seem to be confusing "want" and "need."

I am doing a prom mod for a friend, I thought it was a TCD652160 (TiVo HD) which I have an image for. But when it arrived it turned out to be a TCD658000 (TiVo HD XL). Any help? Thanks. Dave
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave20042004 View Post
    I am doing a prom mod for a friend, I thought it was a TCD652160 (TiVo HD) which I have an image for. But when it arrived it turned out to be a TCD658000 (TiVo HD XL). Any help? Thanks. Dave
    I knew I saw it somewhere...
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software