Thread: Got a HD10-250

Got a HD10-250

I just ebay purchased a 10-250 and I'm trying to figure out how to fix a few minor issues:

1) It seems to lock up any time I try a "search by title". I can season pass and record through the guide though. It's currently at software 3.1### and I'm hoping that an update will fix this.

2) The HDMI out won't work with my TV. It says "HDCP not enabled". I've searched the forums and it looks like this is a receiver/tv incompatibility. Perhaps by hacking it there's a software bypass I haven't found?

3) Is there any way to force a software update? I'm guessing an upgrade to 6.x would be better before hacking it. I intend to take a good backup and see how it works before downloading and replacing the official image.

For that matter I haven't hacked one in a few years (since I got the SA 4.x running on my Hughes HDVR2) so any current guides and pointers would be much appreciated. (Yes, I'm browsing the threads, but it looks like I would have to start with "Hacking your Tivo in 2004" and then scan through threads for the massive amount of changes since..)

Thanks for the assist,
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by madwand View Post
    I just ebay purchased a 10-250 and I'm trying to figure out how to fix a few minor issues:

3) Is there any way to force a software update?

so any current guides and pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the assist,
    -Eric
    for #3, if it's subbed, call DirecTV and ask them to put you in queue for an update, you'll probably have it overnight.

If it's not subbed, you're probably out of luck for a sat download. When the slices were in the stream, you used a script named "add6x.tcl" or something along those lines. I highly doubt its in the stream any longer.

There are also links to slices and possibly images in the "begging" thread
    for guides, this is a good place to start and its only five pages:
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR10-250 at 6.4a, networked, Superpatched, stock 250GB drive
    One HR23
    Patiently waiting for a new DirecTV/Tivo
    One AM21 hooked to the HR23

Quote Originally Posted by jwciv View Post
    for #3, if it's subbed, call DirecTV and ask them to put you in queue for an update, you'll probably have it overnight.
    I gave that a try but they were absolutely clueless about any receiver that wasn't a directv software box. The lady said she set me up for the only update she can push and it's been almost 24 hours without any noticeable change on my receiver. I'll reset it tomorrow and see if it's been updated.

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by madwand View Post

1) It seems to lock up any time I try a "search by title". I can season pass and record through the guide though. It's currently at software 3.1### and I'm hoping that an update will fix this.

2) The HDMI out won't work with my TV. It says "HDCP not enabled". I've searched the forums and it looks like this is a receiver/tv incompatibility. Perhaps by hacking it there's a software bypass I haven't found?

3) Is there any way to force a software update? I'm guessing an upgrade to 6.x would be better before hacking it. I intend to take a good backup and see how it works before downloading and replacing the official image.

For that matter I haven't hacked one in a few years (since I got the SA 4.x running on my Hughes HDVR2) so any current guides and pointers would be much appreciated. (Yes, I'm browsing the threads, but it looks like I would have to start with "Hacking your Tivo in 2004" and then scan through threads for the massive amount of changes since..)

Thanks for the assist,
    -Eric
    1) You may have to install a software update manually since yours is considerably out of date. There comes a time when the software version on the Tivo simply gets too old and may not allow an update to take place. This was true with the older series 1 DTivos stuck at 2.5.2 or older but it may or may not be the case with the HDTivos running 3.1.x.

2) It sounds like your TV may be the problem. Try using the component outputs instead of HDMI. You probably won't notice any diffeence in the picture quality.

3) Leave the HDTivo connected to the dish and monitor the phonhe status menu. If it says "Pending restart" then you've taken the update and it will be installed upon the next reboot. You may also be able to download an update that's been taken out of the datastream by forcing several calls.

4) Next time, please post in the correct section. You happened to choose the one forum that does NOT deal with Tivos (i.e., the HR20 is a DirecTV branded homebrew DVR and is not a Tivo).
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!