Thread: gutting it out

gutting it out

So I work at RadioShack, and single tuner Tivo's has discoed (discontinued) down to $9.97, My store has 3 of them and my boss told me if I could figure out how to turn one of them into a DVR so that he could transfer all his videos from his PC to the tivo hard drive, he'd give me one for free to do the same with. I started by opening up the housing and pulling the hard drive, which I then plugged into a hard drive enclosure so I could plug in into my laptop via USB. What do I do from here?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver|goose View Post
    What do I do from here?
    You put it back together, get a subscription to tivo service and use tivodesktop or pytivo to send mpg video to it.

What do I do from here?
    Work hard. Apply yourself.

Roger:

I understand the file tree system of Tivo. I suppose the better question would be; how do I go about converting files to .tivo? is there software out there that will do it for me, because is there is I'm having trouble finding it. My main issue is, I'm using Linux/Ubuntu, so anything Windows-based I have to try and force through WINE. Which rarely ends up working for me.

JT: Thanks for the cynicism, but if I wanted it I would've asked. I'm not asking how to hack it, I'm asking what to do to add files that the Tivo will recognize, through Linux.

I'm not asking how to hack it...
    You'll HAVE to if you don't want to get a sub. For numerous reasons that I won't really go into detail about, you'd be better off getting a directv combo tivo, put 6.2x software on it, use superpatch and send video to it via tivoserver (this doesn't require a sub at all). As far as converting video to tivo compatible formats, you can use ty-enabled ffmpeg or tytotivo, both of which can be compiled for linux, and can be easily found on this forum.

As for doing anything via a usb enclosure, you can mount the root fs by using tivopart (also found here), but video is not stored on the root fs so it won't really be of much use in your case.