Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "free upgrade"

"free upgrade"

Ive got a HR10-250 HD-Tivo and today they told me I was eligible for a free upgrade to the mpeg4 DVR. I asked some questions and found out that there is an additional 2 year commitment, plus its a lease. But supposedly theres no monthly lease fee.

I dont know if its gonna be a HR20 or 21 or how big the hard drive will be.
    Is it just not possible to buy one from them? Id like to own one that I could later mod....Is this a good deal?

Can I mod the leased box?

You cannot buy an HR20/21 - they're all leases. The drive will be 320GB.

The only mod possible is a larger drive, and most people would suggest that you do this with an eSATA drive and not open the box.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    ...most people would suggest that you do this with an eSATA drive and not open the box.
    is this simply a warranty issue or is there another drawback to replacing the internal drive?
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR10-250 at 6.4a, networked, Superpatched, stock 250GB drive
    One HR23
    Patiently waiting for a new DirecTV/Tivo
    One AM21 hooked to the HR23

Just a warranty issue. I've opened both my boxes and replaced the drives with bigger ones, but the eSATA route is so easy.
    Steve

You cannot buy an HR20/21 - they're all leases. The drive will be 320GB.

The only mod possible is a larger drive, and most people would suggest that you do this with an eSATA drive and not open the box.
    there seems to be plenty of hr21 units available from ebay and froogle searches. are they all leases that you in initially pay for, then also pay an extra monthly lease fee?
    Last edited by opticalcarrier; 03-30-2008 at 04:27 PM.

You pay a "lease upgrade" fee up front. After that, you pay the standard receiver fee if you have more than one. This is sometimes listed as a lease fee, depending on what the primary box on your account is, but it really is a mirroring fee.

It would be very very unusual to find an HR21 not a lease, and you'd likely have to pay $700 or more for it. As far as I know, the only possible source of a non-lease HR21 is from a beta tester (like me, but I'm not selling), as we "own" the boxes.
    Steve

I just upgraded two of my receivers to HD, one to a regular HD receiver and the other to a DVR HR-21. I called them up ahead of time and asked them for my alternatives. One of the alternatives was for me to buy my own equipment, no lease no commitment, but at the same time I had to do my own antenna install.

I bought my dish for $55.00, h20 for $99.00 hr21 for $169.00 plus other miscellaneous stuff. If you are willing to put up the upfront expense and the time to do it yorself, the option is there.

DSR6k dual 40G drives + turbonet
    Sat T60 dual 40G drives + turbonet
    GXCEBOT single 80G drive + turbonet + wirelessbridge
    Phillips SA 20G + 120G + turbonet + wirelessbridge
    Hughes HDVR2 200G + USB2 + superpatch67 + linksys dd-wrt bridged + MRV
    RCA DVR39 500G + USB2 + superpatch67 + linksys dd-wrt bridged + MRV

THE TiVo is the NETWORK!

You pay a "lease upgrade" fee up front. After that, you pay the standard receiver fee if you have more than one. This is sometimes listed as a lease fee, depending on what the primary box on your account is, but it really is a mirroring fee.

It would be very very unusual to find an HR21 not a lease, and you'd likely have to pay $700 or more for it. As far as I know, the only possible source of a non-lease HR21 is from a beta tester (like me, but I'm not selling), as we "own" the boxes.

how about a HR20? thats the one I want. there are a few of them on ebay. I'm getting the RID from the seller to call DTV and check to see if its a lease

EDITED: DTV verified its a lease. I guess the people selling them on ebay are gonna get hit with the buy fee???
    Last edited by opticalcarrier; 04-03-2008 at 08:49 AM.

The actual answer lies between the positions tendered here. There is a $199 up-front "lease fee" that covers use of the unit for 2 yrs as they will replace, repair, etc. HOWEVER, at the end of the 2-year contract, you do, in fact, become an owner of the unit. You may chose to trade it in for a new unit or use it as a doorstop, etc with no repercussions. So the long and short of it is that you lease for 2 yrs after which you have "bought" the unit. Make any sense??

Quote Originally Posted by drpud View Post
    HOWEVER, at the end of the 2-year contract, you do, in fact, become an owner of the unit. You may chose to trade it in for a new unit or use it as a doorstop, etc with no repercussions. So the long and short of it is that you lease for 2 yrs after which you have "bought" the unit. Make any sense??
    Incorrect. I'm guessing a csr told you this?

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/con...ssetId=1100106

Quote Originally Posted by opticalcarrier View Post
    how about a HR20? thats the one I want. there are a few of them on ebay. I'm getting the RID from the seller to call DTV and check to see if its a lease

EDITED: DTV verified its a lease. I guess the people selling them on ebay are gonna get hit with the buy fee???
    ebay has been sporadically canceling auctions of H/HR 20/21, here's a sample explanation of why:

"You recently listed the following auction-style listing:
    150226xxxxxx - HR20 Brand New Sealed Box DirecTV HD DVR MPEG-4 HDTV
    The listing was removed because it violated eBay policy. We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.
    The rights owner, DirecTV, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law."
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR23

Yeah, that's the eBay VERO system at work. They canceled an auction I had for a Bose SoundDock and never told me why. After some digging I figured it was either that I had been willing to ship internationally (which Bose apparently doesn't like) and/or I cribbed descriptive text from their web site (understandable.) I was able to relist once I addressed those two items.

In the case of the HR20, I'd expect that DirecTV might object to auctions promoting NIB HR20s as "to own" when they will be leases. The low price assumes a kickback that DirecTV gives to the retailer.
    Steve

Yeah, that's the eBay VERO system at work. They canceled an auction I had for a Bose SoundDock and never told me why. After some digging I figured it was either that I had been willing to ship internationally (which Bose apparently doesn't like) and/or I cribbed descriptive text from their web site (understandable.) I was able to relist once I addressed those two items.

In the case of the HR20, I'd expect that DirecTV might object to auctions promoting NIB HR20s as "to own" when they will be leases. The low price assumes a kickback that DirecTV gives to the retailer.
    it was listed as a lease, however, I did cut and paste info from an HR21 sell sheet to highlight features, maybe that was the "intellectual property rights" violation.
    One HR23

I finally got the call from DirecTV the other night to upgrade... deal was two new HR21's and a HD receiver and 5 LMB dish and install to replace my 10-250's and E86 - free with 24 month commitment. I keep my old stuff (beta test units anyhow) and I will OWN the new hardware after my commitment is up. They "recorded" the call so there's a record of what the CSR said.

The HR21 has some nice features, but lacks a couple of key features of the 10-250: OTA input and tuner swap!!!

OTA is coming in the form of an external tuner box which connects by USB - the AM21.
    Steve