Thread: ftp fetch while recording off of two cablecards ?

ftp fetch while recording off of two cablecards ?

s3 Tivo.

Any comments on offloading a program via FTP while at the same time the tivo is recording two simultaneous shows ?

My concern is that the 5 MB/s outbound transfer that I am forcing it to do will be too much for the hard drive while recording two shows ... and that bits will drop from one or both of the recordings.

Any comments ? I am fairly certain that the math says the drive can handle this without a problem, but sometimes there are other variables. Has anyone here done enough ftp transfers while recording two shows that they can assure me this is nothing to worry about ?

ALSO, what log file on my tivo can I watch to alert myself of any kind of recording/input errors ?

Your transfer speeds will suffer and you may get a somewhat sluggy response from your remote during the transfer. I do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by tiver View Post
    ALSO, what log file on my tivo can I watch to alert myself of any kind of recording/input errors ?
    kernel, tvlog, tverr

ok, but the integrity of the shows being recorded will not suffer, in your experience ?

not at all.

So MFS_FTP is lower priority than the "OS?" Thats pretty good to know

Think of the FTP transfer as playing back a 3rd show while recording two others. This falls under normal operating parameters and should not pose any problems, although expect to see some sluggish response from your remote as jt indicated. The transfer speed should not be as high as you would normally expect but you can always perform the transfer when the Tivo's not recording if speed is important to you.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!