Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strip DRM series 3

strip DRM series 3

can u strip drm in series 3 tivo files? how can u access them?

Answers to both of those questions already exist in great detail on this forum. I would suggest you look for them.

I'll be perfectly honest - most of this stuff is like a foreign language - I https into my tivo and I cannot download the files with DRM on them - do i need to FTP into it? There's no "This is how you get a file from Tivo that has DRM" on this site - if there is its pretty hidden.

Thanks

I can https into the tivo without a problem.

i can't download the protected files.

I tried FTPing into the tivo - it times out

I can ping it - no problem - gives me a response, i can https into it - can't FTP into it.

:\

Hacking a modern TiVo is a fairly involved process. There is a very well written intro here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53492

Beyond that, you'll just have to do some searching. When I first started working with TiVo boxes I read this forum for hours a day every day for a few weeks before I started feeling comfortable with things. Consider it a rite of passage. ;-)

If you want to strip DRM from a .tivo file extracted from an unhacked standalone tivo, you probably want to look at this.

See the Getting the files off your TiVo section for the right incantations to get the .tivo files off of the tivo. The referenced wikik can still be access on the wayback machine.

Ok - I have been looking around - I can't seem to figure this out - probably because I am a total newb - but that is besides the point.

To accomplish what I am doing it appears i need to use some sort of directshow filter - but before I do that i'd need to connect to my device and install MFSFTP - however all attempts to connect to my device (save https-ing into it) have resulted in nil. I have tried FTP and Telnet. I can ping my device and get a response - apparently I am going down the wrong path - what else is new.

Can I accomplish what I seek to accomplish (i.e. grab the copy protected .TiVo files off of my hard drive) without opening up my device?

I checked dvrpedia and most of the stuff really only covers series 2 - my device is a HD Tivo - I believe that is in line with Series 3.

Can someone point me in the right direction at least. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. Also if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it a lot - you can PM me your AIM, Yahoo!, MSN, Gmail, or GChat, etc. information and we can chat in real time that'd be great. I really look forward to contributing to this community and helping out where I can once my feet are on the ground.

Thanks in Advance,

Matstars

Quote Originally Posted by matstars View Post
    Ok - I have been looking around - I can't seem to figure this out - probably because I am a total newb - but that is besides the point.

To accomplish what I am doing it appears i need to use some sort of directshow filter - but before I do that i'd need to connect to my device and install MFSFTP - however all attempts to connect to my device (save https-ing into it) have resulted in nil. I have tried FTP and Telnet. I can ping my device and get a response - apparently I am going down the wrong path - what else is new.

Can I accomplish what I seek to accomplish (i.e. grab the copy protected .TiVo files off of my hard drive) without opening up my device?

I checked dvrpedia and most of the stuff really only covers series 2 - my device is a HD Tivo - I believe that is in line with Series 3.

Can someone point me in the right direction at least. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. Also if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it a lot - you can PM me your AIM, Yahoo!, MSN, Gmail, or GChat, etc. information and we can chat in real time that'd be great. I really look forward to contributing to this community and helping out where I can once my feet are on the ground.

Thanks in Advance,

Matstars
    I've already pointed you in the right direction. You need to complete steps 1 - 10 in order in the post that I linked you to.

A sort of related question. I'm not really sure what forum it belongs in. An increasing number of posters in TCF are having issues with the CCI Byte being incorrectly set. Does the patch that disables encryption also cause the unit to ignore the CCI Byte? I have a TivoHD and so far haven't found a reason to modify the PROM.

OP--What tivo unit do you have? Is it hacked? What are you trying to do?
    Last edited by newbie; 03-21-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Does the patch that disables encryption also cause the unit to ignore the CCI Byte?
    It does not modify the CCI byte insofar as MRV or TTG is concerned. However, ALL tystreams that have encryption disabled are fully extractable using the traditional tools found here.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    It does not modify the CCI byte insofar as MRV or TTG is concerned. However, ALL tystreams that have encryption disabled are fully extractable using the traditional tools found here.
    I was wondering about either the automatic delete after 24 hours or even a program using the copy never byte.

Some of the traditional tools allow for automatic D/L. That would take care of the 24 hour delete issue.

Can this be accomplished without opening up the TiVo? The directions you gave me are not clear on that.

Thanks!

Jamie gave you the answer in his post - so again, look at the Tivo File Decoder.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

TiVo File Decoder makes perfect sense - however I can't seem to get the TiVo files that are copy protected !

I tried FTPing - Telneting - etc. either I have no idea what im doing or - i have no idea what Im doing

Hence Im asking - do I need to physically modify the tivo to do that?

Thanks for the help!

Matstars

I think I misunderstood your goal, which I now understand is to transfer files that have the copy protection bits set that prevent MRV and TTG.

For that, you really do need to hack your tivo, following the path outlined in the posts Omikron linked to.

Note that some recordings, for example the Amazon Unbox downloads, have an extra layer of encryption that isn't defeated with any public hacks I know about.
    Last edited by Jamie; 03-22-2008 at 09:33 AM.