Thread: new tivo user - two scheduling questions

new tivo user - two scheduling questions

First, when I am navigating through the live TV guide, how can I tell what programs are going to be recorded ? The problem is, I keep selecting programs to record, but in reality I have already scheduled them - I do not see any indication in the live TV guide that a show is already scheduled to be recorded.

Obviously there is a way to see this, since it would be absurd to not know from the live TV guide which shows are already scheduled to be recorded ... sorry for such a newbie question.

Second, is there some FAQ or forum somewhere where the channel late/early offsets are discussed ? I notice that some channels start their programs at 1 or 2 minutes late or early (as opposed to right at :00 or :30 on the hour) and rather than a lot of trial and error, I wonder if people are already pooling data like "MHDTV always started two minutes early" and so on ?

Are the channels generally very consistent as to their late/early offsets ? If I get in the habit of going 2 mins late on all network XYZ programming, can I just blindly do that forever, or should I expect them to change that offset frequently ?

thanks.

Tivo uses the guide data, if a show starts at 9:59p tivo will start recording at 9:59. Conversely if a show is scheduled to go until 10:01p tivo will record until 10:01. This has happend with shows like ER for years. Occassionally the network will change a show too late for the change to be picked up but in general you don't need any offsets. Obviously this doesn't apply to live programming. You need to add extra time (pad) for most live sports programming and for shows like the Oscars.

The kind of questions you're asking are better posted on the TCF http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

I think tiver's complaint is that there is no indication in the guide of which programs have been scheduled to record. Most other DVRs offer this, but not TiVo. The only way to see what's pending is to visit the ToDo list.
    Steve

wait ... so this isn't my inability to set this to "on" - it really isn't possible ?

I don't really think of it as a "feature" - more like "common sense".

Wow ... someone must have some really obscure patent on something related to that - there is no other reasonable explanation...

thanks.

The To Do list indicates every program you have scheduled to record within the limits of the current guide data (i.e., the next 12 days or so). You can check individual programs or season passes and select the "View upcoming episodes" option and see which ones have checkmarks next to them. The options you set up in the season pass will determine which episodes get recorded (i.e., new, repeats, or all).
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I don't think it's a patent issue - just TiVo's design choice. I'd prefer it if there was an indication, but TiVo has generally liked to keep things as simple as possible in the UI.
    Steve

I believe part of the reason that this indicator is missing is for performance reasons.

The TiVo UI already has to poll quite a bit of data in order to display how much information it does, and even the Series3, which is the fastest of all of the TiVo's, can appear to be a bit sluggish to respond at times. I would imagine if the TiVo also had to display a "Record" indicator on each program it would be yet another bit of data it needed to pull and would adversely affect the performance of the UI.

All that said, TivoWebPlus DOES show you which programs are already scheduled to record, but you can see that the interface is not as quick as the native TiVo UI.