Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: QAM Channel Mapping

It's been a long time since I've looked at this, but the third approach I postulated:
    3) alter the script to create a distinct Headend/SignalSource, and then run OTA against the first version of the script, and digital cable against the second version of the script (you would need to modify the name of the MFS Headend created "/HeadendTms/0000QAM" (appears in three places) and modify the ServerId's to prevent a conflict, which might be a bit tricky.
    was something of a hack.

But essentially, you modify the script enough to have multiple QAM-mapped headends coexist peacefully.

Giving it a brief review, you would change "/HeadendTms/0000QAM" to "/HeadendTms/0001QAM" (a find and replace should find the three places).

The ServerId (which is assigned by Tivo) of the MFS objects is another thing that needs to be unique. They need to be unique from each other, but also not conflict with a real ServerId sent by tivo. In the script, you can see on lines 222 and 236, that the DBS and VOOM (now defunct) ServerId are used. This Headend ServerId was a safe choice by the author, as it wouldn't be expected to conflict with any other Headends (as presumably with VOOM out of business, tivo shouldn't be instructing units to create a VOOM headend). I'm guessing you could probably just increment the Headend ServerId from 24109384 to 24109385, but I don't know if that incremented ServerId might actually correspond to some provider (e.g., Comcast in the greater Phoenix area) and clash if someone setup for that provider tried to run the script.

I don't think the postal code ServerId matters, but as I said, it's been a long time since I've looked at this.

So long as you have a backup, you can change the script (as described above), and run it to create a second QAM-headend for another set of channels (sounds like just one channel).

Reflecting on this, I think I realized that a tivoweb module that allowed one to manually poke through the channels and (re)map them would have been the best approach.

Thanks tivo4mevo!, I'll give it a shot.

Just a question about the location of the HeadEnd. Would I have been successful in removing all the hacks by simply restoring a backup of the prehacked root drive? Or would the Headend have been over written?
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.

Though slightly off topic, you're correct. You can easily "unhack" a drive in the manner you describe: first making an image of the active root partition (/dev/hda4|7) prior to hacking, hacking the partition, and the overwriting the hacked partition with the image.

The Headend and all other MFS objects live in the MFS application or media partitions (partitions 10-13), so reverting your root partition shouldn't normally have any effect on MFS or the objects in it. That said, there are some hacks that manipulate MFS objects in a way that a stock/unhacked tivo wouldn't like or care for them (like this: link), but in general what you're doing (quick transfer to create a few new MFS objects) is fine.

Where can I find step by step instructions on how to do all of this? The stupidy of TiVo and their lame excuse of changing physical channel numbers and not providing channel editing capabilities for the Guide is ridiculous.
    I'm not familiar with Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by cj47 View Post
    Where can I find step by step instructions on how to do all of this? .....I'm not familiar with Linux.
    If you have a Series 3 I would suggest getting your board prommed first. While a prommed board is not technically required to using channel remapping, it IS required to run the remapping script (or any TiVo software modifications for that matter). As an example, if you had two TiVoHD's and one was prommed, you could use the prommed board to modify the software (i.e. remap the channels) on the non-prommed machine's hard drive. Not just theory...it worked for me.. I've never had a cable card and have enjoyed high def for years.
    Activity on forum is light. Need hardware help? I can supply preprogrammed proms: $10: 12 sold as of 8/2015. Email if interested. Don't check PM's very often any more.