Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QAM Channel Mapping

An update: creating a headend to match the QAM signal source lineup will prevent tivoapp from deleting the the channels during the daily call. I did a few proof of concept tests without the above patch and everything worked as expected (no QAM mapped channels were deleted and LineupUpdate actually created headend channels missing in the signal source).

Given that tivo doesn't check MFS for foreign objects, this method should work on completely unhacked units. Some testing probably needed to confirm.

tivo4mevo: Are you asking for a forum member with an unpromed Tivo HD to test the script? I have a cable card but there are a couple channels with missing guide data.

Who is the users here, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...03#post6895103 trying to sell this script?

If it's based on scripts other users have written has this user gotten permission to sell it?

the guy selling his QAM hack lacks features this one has, and this one is FREE (as in beer).

Anyone try this on a non-hacked box yet?

I've received permission to post the attached map_qam.tcl script (below). If you appropriately modify the "userMapArray" on line 45 and then run this script, it will create a clear QAM lineup complete with guidedata (borrowed from your OTA stations).

Your tivo must be setup to receive both OTA as well as Cable (in order to receive the needed guidedata).

As I mentioned above, a valid Headend obviates the need for the LineupUpdate patches posted earlier in this thread, and because this script creates such a Headend, the Lineup will persist, even on an unhacked tivo.

You'll have no way to execute the script on your tivo if it's not hacked, so to get around this, you would need to remove the drive, appropriately hack it, boot it in another hacked tivo, run the script, remove the drive from the hacked tivo, remove the hacks from the drive, and then return it to the unhacked tivo. Those steps are not trivial, so this is probably beyond the reach of beginners.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(After a 5-year hiatus, I'm back on the forum with a shiny new Tivo HD!)

The first thing I noticed was that my channel guide from cable was incomplete and non-HD unless I upgrade to a CableCARD, which irritates me to no end. After whining to Tivo, I thought that surely a hack exists. And it appears to...sort of.

I looked at the script. I'm weak on coding, but it looks like this relies on mapping cable channels to the antenna channel guide which is great for OTA channels. But what about other basic channels I receive (like FX)? Is it possible to get guide data for these?

I don't entirely understand what you're trying to do, but if you wanted to map a given clear-QAM channel to guidedata from a non-OTA channel you could modify these values to draw from a different Provider (i.e., cable provider)
    Code:
    set usePgdFromProvider "{Over the Air Only}"
    set usePgdFromLineup "Digital"
    The way the script is written you can't mix and match Providers, so if this is truly your intent, then I would recommend drawing all guidedata from your analog cable lineup.
    Last edited by tivo4mevo; 02-01-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Gotcha. Yeah, that sounds right. Haven't hacked this box yet, so I'm still debating, but this would be my reason to do so!

I ran the script and it worked, sort of.

Edit

see below
    Last edited by T_RJ; 02-01-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Found a problem that I had created!
    I inadvertantly copied the script to tvbin and it was running from there.
    Fixed that!
    Now I get an error "Failed to find and map all QAM channels. Aborting!"
    I must have an error in my table I need to fix.

Edit

Fond my error!!
    Fat fingered it!
    Works just fine!!

Thanks much!
    Last edited by T_RJ; 02-01-2009 at 11:35 AM.

tivo4mevo : Have you ever looked at the add-whole-channel.tcl script? Its a manual way to define channels and what input they are on
    Syntax - add-whole-channel.tcl <Channel ID> <Channel Num> <ShortName> <LongName> <A/V ID>

It has been used by the OZTiVo members for many years with great success. I haven't looked at the code yet but it may be useful for improving your script
    http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/Post...dding_Channels

edit: Here is a copy. Be careful as this site has some evil pop ups on it! Use firefox with adblock plus http://sharebee.com/d545d35c
    Last edited by ciper; 02-19-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks, ciper. I had come across those scripts as some point in the past, and collectively, they help explain some of the MFS structure for channels, lineups, and headends.

What type of improvements did you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post
    What type of improvements did you have in mind?
    I know I had a good idea at the time I replied to this,,, but at the moment it eludes me! LOL

However it would be great if this was web driven through TWP with the ability to allow lineup changes manually.

QAM Mapped channels survived across the 11.0b.E2-01-2-652 update.

Bump!

Is there anybody still working on a way to do QAM mapping without having to do the prom hack?

Thanks,

H