Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3 Experimental Rollout

9.3 Experimental Rollout

TiVo has begun rolling out 9.3.Y3 on select boxes. Full rollout is probably a few weeks away.

Code:
    TiVo Series3 tivoapp 9.3.Y3-01-2-648

VMA/HEX

0x07344C4/0x03344C4	00008021	24100001 // Backdoors
    0x05A9B54/0x01A9B54	104000AA	100000AA // No Encryption
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Can you give us a field report of the observable changes?

-----
    Just realized I've been a member for 6 years and this is my first post!
    Last edited by wblynch; 04-03-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Do you know if the kernel version is changing with 9.3? I'd be curious as to whether I could simply copy over the existing patched kernel instead of doing it from scratch.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Just a note, the priority page for signing up to receive this update will only accept TSN from series 2 units.

http://research.tivo.com/93priority/index.htm

Well, I can tell you that there are some little things here and there that I've noticed:

- Amazon Unbox playback can now be started before download is complete.
    - Small changes to the font here and there.
    - I found a new [to me] log viewer in backdoor menus that is simply awesome. You can cycle through the various logs with ease and scroll through them. Useless for most, but I've already used it several times.

The biggest change, however, is the SPEED!

It's fast! Very fast!

With this latest update I feel that the Series3 has almost hit the holy grail of UI responsiveness. I say almost because the UI still has it's hiccups here and there, but it's quite a difference over 9.2a. I can only imagine how much this will help those slower platforms out there such as the TiVo HD and Series2 boxes.

As far as the kernel goes, I couldn't tell you. I keep replace_initrd on the box at all times so anytime there is a new update I do a manual upgrade and kill myself a new kernel.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Anyone received 9.3 on a TivoHD yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    Anyone received 9.3 on a TivoHD yet?
    I got 9.3.Y3 on my TivoHD a day before Omikron posted the tivoapp patches. I can report basically the same experience that Omikron had on his Series3.

P.S. lol! Looks like they renamed "myworld" to "swedishChef". Bork! Bork! Bork! (Let's hope that doesn't mean Tivo's software engineers think this release is "borked".)

-psxboy
    Last edited by psxboy; 04-06-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added PS
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    P.S. lol! Looks like they renamed "myworld" to "swedishChef". Bork! Bork! Bork! (Let's hope that doesn't mean Tivo's software engineers think this release is "borked".)

-psxboy
    I did notice that, and loved it. ;-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

FYI, tivoapp in version 9.3a.A1-01-2-652 appears to be identical to the one in 9.3.Y3, so the patch locations in the first post are still applicable.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    FYI, tivoapp in version 9.3a.A1-01-2-652 appears to be identical to the one in 9.3.Y3, so the patch locations in the first post are still applicable.

-psxboy
    What's the deal with the 9.3a version? What models is it for?
    What does it take to get it? I have 9.3 but I don't pull this version. Did it fix anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    What's the deal with the 9.3a version? What models is it for?
    What does it take to get it? I have 9.3 but I don't pull this version. Did it fix anything?
    All questions we don't have answers to. If I was more motivated I might run diff between all of the old files and the new ones.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Has anyone found a Disable Yellow Star Promos patch for 9.3?

Final rollout of 9.3a has begun. I don't have it yet, but a few people on TCF have received it.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    Final rollout of 9.3a has begun. I don't have it yet, but a few people on TCF have received it.
    9.3 (s2) and 9.3a (s3/thd) have identical tivoapp files. So tivoapp patches are the same for both these software versions.

In fact, the entire contents of the GZcore slice is identical, save the /etc/buildversion file. Whatever tweaking they did to 9.3 to produce 9.3a s3/thd for the S3 must have been in the kernel, hpk or swsystem slices.

the 9.3 upgrade "un-hacked" my tivo!

I'm guessing I'm not the first one to get burnt by this.

I've been humming along happily-hacked for about 5 months
    now (thanks to all the posters here and Omikron's excellent
    prom socketing work). today I tried to telnet in (to perform
    my weekly rubbishing of those #@%$%! yellow star ads),
    and found myself locked out of my own tivo.

is this a matter of telling the machine to boot from the
    other partition? (using bootpage, I think?)

or am I in some really deep doo-doo here?

thanks in advance all.

oscar.