Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPGRADESOFTWARE flag being ignored!?

UPGRADESOFTWARE flag being ignored!?

Today marks the FOURTH time I have seen a TiVo update ignore the "upgradesoftware" flag. I always set upgradesoftware=false on all of the TiVo's that I have and I yesterday I noticed that two of my TiVo's automatically installed new software even though the flag was set in the bootpage.

Has anyone else been seeing this behavior?

This latest upgrade took me from 9.3.Y3 to 9.3al.A1.
    Last edited by Omikron; 04-11-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Corrected version number.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Well, that's one way to put a damper on the hacking community. Looks like it may be time to come up with a more sophisticated anti-upgrade technique.

I should also say that in each instance the "upgradesoftware" flag has been REMOVED from the bootpage.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

could you edit the installSW.tcl script ahead of time to prevent the reboot, or just EXIT right after the start?

or, modify the sha command to move the downloaded file so it cannot be run. the connection will fail, but at least it gives you a chance to back up your stuff and perform the upgrade yourself.

It sounds to me like a stock uncompromised kernel was booted. That will clear disallowed options from the bootpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    It sounds to me like a stock uncompromised kernel was booted. That will clear disallowed options from the bootpage.
    If a stock kernel was booted, then it was done so without my doing or permission. All of the instances that I have observed have been on boxes with all hacks running as normal.
    .-=Omikron=-.

wouldnt an uncompromized kernel kill all unsigned files from / ? so if kernel was uncompromized, you'd know right away?

Quote Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
    wouldnt an uncompromized kernel kill all unsigned files from / ? so if kernel was uncompromized, you'd know right away?
    I would think so. I was able to use the serial port and PROM menu to boot the alternate partition and found that all of my old hacks were still there. I ended up just copying over the hacks and got things working again...

...now that I'm thinking about it, I just realized that after I copied over the hacks I don't remember hacking the kernel on the new software! I'm leaving for work now but I'll look into it more when I get back and see what's going on.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Yes, you know right away -- as he did.

All I'm saying it that it is completely normal for upgradesoftware=false to be removed from the bootpage if for some reason a software upgrade is taken. The first time the uncompromised kernel is booted, that's what the initrd is going to do.

You don't have to set upgradesoftware=false in your bootpage. You can set it in your pre-rc.sysinit script. Anything that runs before StageE should work. It's just an environment variable.

Several possibilities:

1. User error: for example, upgradesoftware=false was mistyped or left out, or the bootpage was in an inconsistent state (e.g. boot from partition 3 with partition 7 as the root).
    2. a runme script (scripts downloaded from tivo that are run on your box) removed it from the bootpage,
    3. the startup scripts (e.g. StageE CheckForSoftwareUpgrade) have been changed to not honor the flag anymore.
    4. they changed software installation to upgrade directly without a reboot first.
    In the past when this has happened to me, it has always been 1. It's particularly easy to mess up the boot page if you are in the habit of changing it from the PROM menu. If it's one of the others, it's probably not hard to block, but we need the hard evidence. e.g the changed startup script, the runme script, etc.
    Last edited by Jamie; 04-12-2008 at 10:28 AM.

I've been pre-occupied all week & didn't realize that my TivoHD was waiting to upgrade to 9.3a.A1-01-2-652 until today. But it IS waiting... I've never experienced a situation where the upgradesoftware=false parameter was ignored.
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    ...now that I'm thinking about it, I just realized that after I copied over the hacks I don't remember hacking the kernel on the new software! I'm leaving for work now but I'll look into it more when I get back and see what's going on.
    Oops. That would do it...

Lost

I'm lost. If he didn't hack the new Kernel, I don't see how he could have gotten everything working.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    I'm lost. If he didn't hack the new Kernel, I don't see how he could have gotten everything working.
    Yeah, sorry I forgot to follow up on this.

At this point I'm guessing I somehow did something that removed the "upgradesoftware=false" flag from the bootpage, and the update was installed.

To restore my hacks I connected to it via serial console and boot to the alternate partition via the PROM menu. Once there, I moved all the hacks over and rebooted.

What I later realized is that I never re-hacked the new kernel so in theory the hacks should have been erased. Further investigation revealed that while the boot partition was changed by the installer, I was still booting the old hacked kernel.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that it was all my doing somehow and just a fluke. I'm sorry for the confusion. ;-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

Still confused

Are you saying you moved the old kernel without really realizing it? If not, then how are you booting the old kernel with the new software?
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    Are you saying you moved the old kernel without really realizing it? If not, then how are you booting the old kernel with the new software?
    I'm saying that the software was somehow installed automatically BUT it only flipped the root partition and not the kernel. Instead of switching from hda6/7 to hda3/4 it switched to hda6/4. Do you see what I mean?
    .-=Omikron=-.