Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive Monitor

The script is now updated to monitor the temperature of your drive(s) and compare to a user-defined threshold. It also compares the number of reallocated sectors to manufacturer thresholds. These new features only work with the updated version of smartctl posted above. Thanks Jamie!

Thanks again Russ.

FamRoom-bash# /enhancements/drivemonitor.sh
    No hard drive errors were found in your kernel log.
    Your primary drive hda S.M.A.R.T. satus is: PASSED
    No secondary drive was detected.
    Your primary drive (hda) temperature is 43 degrees Celsius.
    Number of reallocated sectors on your primary drive (hda) is 0. That's good.

New Features

I updated the original post with a new version that:
    - Runs smartctl extended offline self tests on all drives.
    - If the script detects a cron installation, it will automatically (after prompting) append your crontab to run drivemonitor.sh every night.

my drive status showed that it failed and not passed on both my receivers, what can I do to have both drives be passed? thanks
    Philips DSR704 (Seagate 500GB>>482 Hours)
    Philips DSR704 (Seagate 400GB>>383 Hours)
    Directv R15 (it was free-Directv Promotion)
    Pioneer DVR810H-not in use

Thanks again Russ...

Run drivemonitor.sh again after two hours for results.
    Commencing extended offline self test for hda now.
    Found a crontab named "root" in
    Would you like to append it to run drivemonitor.sh every night? [y/n]: y
    /enhancements/drivemonitor.sh: dirname: command not found
    Appending crontab to run drivemonitor from
    Done!

You can safely ignore the error. Looks like you don't have the dirname utility on your Tivo. I'll take it out of the script since it's not a stock Tivo utility.

Quote Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
    You can safely ignore the error. Looks like you don't have the dirname utility on your Tivo. I'll take it out of the script since it's not a stock Tivo utility.
    Made this change. Now uses awk to echo the crontab path if dirname fails. Cosmetic fix only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    That's pretty ancient. I've been using 5.32 for quite a while -- looks like I built it back in 2005.

smartctl -H /dev/hdX is useful with this version, as well as smartctl -t short /dev/hdX. smartctl -a /dev/hdX displays a ton of info that you might find useful, typically including the temperature of the drive, the number of remapped sectors, etc.
    I don't suppose there's a updated binary for Series 1 ?

Is there anything I can do when smartctl spots a bad area on the disc? I got a Pre-Tivo Central message informing me:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
    Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
    # 1 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 40% 6092 -
    # 2 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 80% 6092 -
    # 3 Short offline Completed: read failure 60% 1 705085
    # 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 0 -

Is there a utility where I can lock out the bad spot at 705085?

Try spinrite. This forum has lots of info on it.

Is there a way to clear the logged data so that i don't keep getting a Pre-Tivo Central message every day informing me of the one read error that occurred four days ago? Apparently subsequent daily runs did not have the same result, but every morning I get a new message about the old test.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Is there a way to clear the logged data so that i don't keep getting a Pre-Tivo Central message every day informing me of the one read error that occurred four days ago? Apparently subsequent daily runs did not have the same result, but every morning I get a new message about the old test.
    Yes, just use the "clear" argument when you run the script:
    Code:
    ./drivemonitor.sh clear

Tivo message about read error

I realize that this thread is 2 yrs old but this appears to be the best place to post my issue.

Originally Posted by Rorschach

Code:
    ./drivemonitor.sh clear

I've been getting a similar message for the last few days since I've gotten a 1TB drive running, it only has 3 days on it. I even "uninstalled" tweak so I don't have "drivemonitor.sh" anymore, so I can't use the "clear" option.

I even tried renaming smartctl to keep the program from running at all. I had already disabled smartctl by the way but I still keep getting the message.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 55dreamer View Post
    I realize that this thread is 2 yrs old but this appears to be the best place to post my issue.

Originally Posted by Rorschach

Code:
    ./drivemonitor.sh clear

I've been getting a similar message for the last few days since I've gotten a 1TB drive running, it only has 3 days on it. I even "uninstalled" tweak so I don't have "drivemonitor.sh" anymore, so I can't use the "clear" option.

I even tried renaming smartctl to keep the program from running at all. I had already disabled smartctl by the way but I still keep getting the message.

Any thoughts?
    Download the script from the OP and run it with the clear argument. Then check your crontab and confirm there's nothing in there that keeps wanting to run the script.