Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Extremely cheap USB console access to THD, DKU-5 cell phone cable

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    507

    Extremely cheap USB console access to THD, DKU-5 cell phone cable

    I am 99.9% sure the DKU-5 or CA-42 cable will work for the THD console access. I've used one of these cables to connect to soho router as mentioned here http://www.neophob.com/serendipity/i...l-Console.html and here http://www.neolics.com/pdfs/dku-5.pdf

    Once I can find my cable (probably hidden in my closet) I will post results.

    Ebay Search
    Last edited by ciper; 04-15-2008 at 05:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    I am 99.9% sure the DKU-5 or CA-42 cable will work for the THD console access. I've used one of these cables to connect to soho router as mentioned here http://www.neophob.com/serendipity/i...l-Console.html and here http://www.neolics.com/pdfs/dku-5.pdf

    Once I can find my cable (probably hidden in my closet) I will post results.

    Ebay Search
    The TiVo HD actually uses 5V, but these may work. Please let us know what your results are when you find your cable.
    .-=Omikron=-.

    TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

    Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    507
    Five volts you say? Well I'm brave enough to try anyways. I can't see undervoltage causing any permanent damage. I wonder if a similar adapter exists at 5 volts since it is the default USB voltage after all.

    I randomly stumbled across this http://www.nkcelectronics.com/rs232-...converter.html for the DIY kinda guy.
    Last edited by ciper; 04-16-2008 at 03:44 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    233
    These look interesting:
    http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/s...bles:+TTL-232R

    I might have to order one.

    Omikron, are you still planning on offering DIY 3.5mm kit for the THD?

    EDIT: It looks like Mouser stocks these under the DLP Design brand about 20-25 USD.
    Last edited by jkozee; 04-16-2008 at 10:13 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
    These look interesting:
    http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/s...bles:+TTL-232R

    I might have to order one.

    Omikron, are you still planning on offering DIY 3.5mm kit for the THD?

    EDIT: It looks like Mouser stocks these under the DLP Design brand about 20-25 USD.
    Those FTDI cables actually work flawlessly. I've used TTL-232R-AJ in conjuction with a standard Series3 console jack and ended up with a very easy way to access the THD console via USB directly from a Windows or a Mac. I have been toying with the idea of dropping the whole TTL-RS232 converter and going to such a system.

    HOWEVER, the two cables that I ordered had a very loose fit in all of the USB ports that I tried it on and I ended up losing the device in Device Manager every time the cord was bumped even a little. For reliability reasons I haven't recommended them yet, but they do work. I just find it a bit much to pay for a cable with a poor USB connector.
    .-=Omikron=-.

    TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

    Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    507
    Here is another interesting gadget that should work great. Check the third and fourth image and you will see it can be configured in a number of different ways!

    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1750401
    Last edited by ciper; 04-16-2008 at 09:10 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    Here is another interesting gadget that should work great. Check the third and fourth image and you will see it can be configured in a number of different ways!

    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1750401
    If you think that's neat, just wait till you see what I've got cooking... ;-)
    .-=Omikron=-.

    TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

    Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    If you think that's neat, just wait till you see what I've got cooking... ;-)
    Smells good!

    Has the oven timer gone off on this project yet?

    Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 05-11-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    TiVo Series one, two, and TiVo HD

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    If you think that's neat, just wait till you see what I've got cooking... ;-)
    Is this project still active?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •