Thread: copy protection on Tivo HD

Question copy protection on Tivo HD

I had a Humax Tivo DVR with DVD recorder but it died, so I just got a TIVO HD. The Humax could record anything on the Tivo onto a DVD. The Tivo HD has copy protection on most of the programs I want to put on my PC (via Tivo to Go) or on DVD. Is there any way around this?

Quote Originally Posted by elena View Post
    I had a Humax Tivo DVR with DVD recorder but it died, so I just got a TIVO HD. The Humax could record anything on the Tivo onto a DVD. The Tivo HD has copy protection on most of the programs I want to put on my PC (via Tivo to Go) or on DVD. Is there any way around this?
    The only way around it that I know of is to replace the PROM, hack the unit, disable encryption, and then pull off the recordings via mfs_ftp.

Information on how to do that can be found via searching.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Legally, you can use Tivo Desktop PLUS

Transfer a program to your pc as a .tivo program. Tell Tivo Desktop Plus to convert file for use in a generic MP4 player.

Use AVS Video Converter cvt MP4 to 720p AVI file

Then use any authoring tool to write it to a DVD

Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post

Transfer a program to your pc as a .tivo program. Tell Tivo Desktop Plus to convert file for use in a generic MP4 player.

Use AVS Video Converter cvt MP4 to 720p AVI file

Then use any authoring tool to write it to a DVD

Works fine.
    Any application that uses TTG (Tivo Desktop, TivoPlayList,py...), won't let you transfer a program that is flagged as copy protected content.

Many cable companies are flagging all programming as copy protected except for OTA channels. You're probably better off using an S2 if you want to copy recordings to a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    The only way around it that I know of is to replace the PROM, hack the unit, disable encryption, and then pull off the recordings via mfs_ftp.

Information on how to do that can be found via searching.
    Nope, that won't work. If the shows are copy protected, then hacking it to allow copy will just copy a broken output file due to the MAK filed encryption.

Legally one can do a great deal more than that, including what Omikron suggested.

Even if one sticks with an un-hacked TiVo, one can easily do a great deal better than TDT+, and for less money.

Transfer a program to your pc as a .tivo program.
    Or transfer it as a .mpg using kmttg. Or hack your TiVo and transfer it as a .ty file.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Nope, that won't work. If the shows are copy protected, then hacking it to allow copy will just copy a broken output file due to the MAK filed encryption.
    You are wrong. He is right. 'Not surprising since he is one of the fellows who cracked the S3. This is an old thread, though, and a number of advances have been made since then. See below.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 11-08-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Any application that uses TTG (Tivo Desktop, TivoPlayList,py...), won't let you transfer a program that is flagged as copy protected content.
    Which is why one of the most popular hacks is disabling copy protection.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 11-08-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elena View Post
    What Omikron said. See the link in my signature and search around. You want the S3 support forum, though, not the development forum.

Quote Originally Posted by edrebber View Post
    Many cable companies are flagging all programming as copy protected except for OTA channels. You're probably better off using an S2 if you want to copy recordings to a computer.
    Oh, don't be ridiculous! The S2 is slow, klunky, and cannot deal in any way with HD content.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    Well, no. First of all, of course, TyTool / tserver is also an option. What's more one can simply disable the CCI byte, either instead of or along with disabling encryption.