Thread: HR-21 100 dvr HD

HR-21 100 dvr HD

HI: I just received a upgrade from DIRECTV. A HR-21 100 dvr HD. Are these dvr good DVRs. I had an older TIVO for about 3-4 years and was very happy with it and had no problems with it. I like the HD and new features of this new DVR but dont know anything about it or HD DVR stuff. I got the new dish and DVR box for free from DIRECTV.

Well, if you listen to the fanboys at dbstalk.com, they're the best thing since white bread. OTOH, if you listen to the other fanboys at the Tivo Community Forum, they're absolutely terrible. Why not use it for a while and form your own opinion. I've never used the HR20 or HR21 personally so I have no real opinion either way, especially since I dumped DirecTV for FIOS.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I have an HR21, and have been a TiVo user for many years. I find the HR21 to be fine and it has many features not available on unhacked HR10s. Enjoy all the new HD channels.
    Steve

I also find the new HD unit fine but I do not like the menus nearly as well as my Tivos. I find the menus not very intuitive and have found myself poking around to try to find the right control. Never had this problem with my Tivo from day 1. Also, I find the new unit a bit less stable as I have had to reboot twice already due to a non-responsive unit in the last 2 months. Hope you enjoy your experience, though!

I've had an HR-21 for about 2 months, and the first month ran very smoothly no problems, menus and features are OK. gets some time to get use to it but not bad. Now, las week it received a software upgrade (?) and it really messed everything up. I can not play any of the recordings with out the playback freezing up; it freezes from 10-15 secs to 5-10 min. then it plays for 2-3 min and the cycle repeats. I have called D several times and all they tell you is reset the box... if this does not fix the problem the next step is to send you an replacement box.

I think their problem is that even that the boxes have the same model number they are internally different on components and they can't figure out what works with what ... that is me.

It is very unreliable as a DVR, if you just want a HD receiver It works great.. I still have my Directivo active and seating side by side, it never misses a tick, is not Hd but it never out.

DSR6k dual 40G drives + turbonet
    Sat T60 dual 40G drives + turbonet
    GXCEBOT single 80G drive + turbonet + wirelessbridge
    Phillips SA 20G + 120G + turbonet + wirelessbridge
    Hughes HDVR2 200G + USB2 + superpatch67 + linksys dd-wrt bridged + MRV
    RCA DVR39 500G + USB2 + superpatch67 + linksys dd-wrt bridged + MRV

THE TiVo is the NETWORK!

Quote Originally Posted by ltucci1924 View Post
    HI: I just received a upgrade from DIRECTV. A HR-21 100 dvr HD. Are these dvr good DVRs. I had an older TIVO for about 3-4 years and was very happy with it and had no problems with it. I like the HD and new features of this new DVR but dont know anything about it or HD DVR stuff. I got the new dish and DVR box for free from DIRECTV.
    No OTA, they stink.

HR21 is fine. If you need OTA, there is an AM-21 add-on box which has a better tuner than the HR20 or HR10.
    Steve