Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did this guy rip you all off or not?

CWCW is offline Thats Mr Cheez\/\/iz to u

Did this guy rip you all off or not?

http://www.canadiancardcleaner.com/tivo.html

It has been stated that they are just selling the work that evolved here. A respected member of alt.dss.hack has supposedly even confirmed that the locals script is the one from here. Does anyone actually know for sure or is it all just speculation?
    ---------------
    Cheez\/\/iz

Sounds like Xtreme25 but what's the deal with this:

Hardware Protection! Your DirecTivo is modified so that no unwanted hardware or software upgrades are sent to your system without your knowledge. Both software upgrades and eeprom updates are disabled.

Damn, I want that feature too.

Justin

I would just like to hear from someone who has actually bought one of these units from them. I am very curious to hear how it works and would also love to know if there's any way to get a copy of the software used and make it public since it's obviously based on the work of other people.

hardware protection = guaranteed to fit in trash can when it crashes

I have purchased items from this dealer before and had 0 (Zero) trouble. I asked someone who would probably know about the TiVo question and he stated that they were using their own guy in-house for those.

Now where he gets the software is anyone guess but I think we can probably infer that they are not ripping Surgeon's work.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. -Dennis Miller.

-FactorOfX

This dealer seems to charge absolutely outrageous amounts for using 25xtreme. Without Surgeon's wonderful work, CC woulnd't be able to do a hacked 2.5. I'm not saying he doesn't do what he claims, but think he's a bit of a low-life to charge extreme amounts for a few minutes of work. I also don't like that he's ripping of Tivo by hacking the subscription. The guy has a major attitude problem when confronted with his outrageous charges for the hacks.

He charges what people will pay. If they don't want to do it themselves, they'll pay. It's just the free market enterprise at work - if others see that it's viable, they'll set up similar work.

I do know someoen who charges $600 for a new DTiVo with 2.5 hacked... so if people are willing to pay that much for it, it's their money.

We'd do it ourselves, but some people won't, so let them pay...

Money off the backs of others.. the American Way..

welcome to Capitalism at it's finest.

I find it very hard to believe that it's impossible to copy this software and use it on another machine. With all of the great minds here I'm sure we could figure this out if somebody who has actually purchased one of these units would be willing to help out.

it would be unbelievably simple to copy their software. But in my opinion it is of little benefit, and certainly not worth the money.

Well I am considering splitting the cost 3 ways with a couple of friends (we would send in a unit to be upgraded for $299). We would happily post the software somewhere if somebody could talk us through exactly what needs to be done.

Or if somebody else has already bought one a unit from them they could also post the necessary files.

All you need to do is download 25xtreme and follow the instructions. It's not a hard process, and it's FREE!

Originally posted by yngdiego
    All you need to do is download 25xtreme and follow the instructions. It's not a hard process, and it's FREE!
    I think we are trying to figure out how to protect the upgraded units from automatically accepting future software updates. I would like to lock my box down as is if that's possible.

If you guys can come up with a concrete plan or get a mod involved, I would be happy to kick in some money to get this resolved.

I would also be happy to host any files that come out of this at the PitouDistro.com site.

Justin

I agree with Justin - blocking the boxes from accepting further updates is definitely important. Plus the software canadiancardcleaners uses has a few other features that I don't believe are available in v2.5xtreme. If we can use their software to improve the quality of what is publicly available, we should do it. I still would love to hear from someone who has actually bought one of these things though. Anyone? I am totally willing to be the guinea pig and send my unit to them to be upgraded but I just don't know when I'm going to do it.

POSTED BY BubbaJ
    it would be unbelievably simple to copy their software. But in my opinion it is of little benefit, and certainly not worth the money.

One question to BubbaJ

Can you point us in the right direction on how to protect the upgraded units from automatically accepting future software updates, PROTECTING THE PROM?
    THANKS for all your help