Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TiVoTool on Intel - huge boost

TiVoTool on Intel - huge boost

Got my MBP a few days ago and started playing around with TiVoTool - man does that thing rock! Anyway, I noticed the MP4 extraction stuff was really slow, and it seemed like it was solely because the ffmpeg binary in TT is not universal.

After screwing around trying to compile my own ffmpeg binary, I gave up and linked the ffmpeg from ffmpegx to teh /Library/Application Support/TiVoTool/ directory, and gave it another try. HOLY COW!

Processing jumped from about 10FPS to just under 50FPS! So for all of you wating for universal binary support for TT, this is a nice stopgap measure...

Can you explain exactly how to link the ffmpegx to ffmeg?
    thanks

ok i figured it out, copied the ffmpeg in the package contents of ffmpegx into that directory
    it works for mp4
    much faster

any way to make avi/divx files faster?

Question

Hey there...

Just got my MBP... just love it...

I've installed ffmpegX... just love it...

Also installed TivoTool and have it pulling files off my hacked HDVR2 DTivo system over a wired connection just fine. Getting horrible DL/encoding times when going to Xvid, but haven't tried just going to MP2 as of yet.

Could you provide some more discrete details (like locations of files, etc.) for doing this mpeg encoder swap? Not having the universal binaries for TivoTool blows, but a solution like this is very cool for the time being.

thnx,
    Etienne

Quote Originally Posted by JELaVallee
    ... horrible DL/encoding times when going to Xvid, but haven't tried just going to MP2 as of yet.
    Okay, FYI for anyone looking for a comparison...

It's taking about 2 hr 25m to encode an show (~1 hr / 1058MB)... download took about 30 minutes but that's because I'm currently torrent slamming my network bridge between here and my living room. Necessary evil.

How does that encoding compare to other's experience?

BTW, While I've always liked TyTool's all-in-one execution workflow, this setup with TivoTool to extract/encode, ffmpegX to resize to best fit my PMP's screen (Archos AV500 w/ 464x256) with croping and then iMovie to edit out the "gunk" really is quite smooth. Will have to see how DVD archiving fairs...

Thanks for any help.

cheers,
    Etienne

Ok, I just had to rebuild my macbook, so I figured I might as well provide a little more detail while i'm going thorugh this....

TivoTool calls ffmpeg from /Library/Application Support/TivoTool/ so open up terminal, cd to /Library/Application Support/TivoTool/ and do the following:

mv ffpmeg ffmpeg-ppc

then assuming you sing the ffmpeg binary from ffmpegx, and ffmpegx is in /Applications, then type the following in the same terminal:

ln -s /Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg ffmpeg

now you've got a symbolic link that TivoTool will follow to the universal binary of ffmpeg - this sped up my mp4 processing by about 5x, and it's still all in one step.

29 TivoTool perf improvements for Macbook (or intel macs)

I have to thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for TivoTool - I got it working last night on my macbook having spent nearly a day trying and failing to get VLC to compile to get v0.85 versions of the vstream module.

I installed TivoTool mainly to stream directly from my S1 Tivo to my macbook and it worked great until I went full screen and there the strain started to show as the audio was choppy. 1st fix was to allow dropping of frames but thanks to your post I thought to remplace the PPC versions of mplayer shipped with TivoTool with the ones shipped with ffmpegX and hey presto - amazing performance!

basically I followed your example, renamed ttmplayer to ttmplayer.ppc and then made a symbolic link
    cd /Library/Application Support/TivoTool/
    ln -s ../ffmpegX/mplayer ttmplayer

(actually I needed to preface the command with "sudo" but perhaps that is not necessary for everyone or too obvious to mention...)
    I did the same with the mencoder but I haven't tested it as I am more interested in streaming for the moment.

You probably didn't have an issue with performance using Rosetta emulation as the graphics on the MBP are much faster than the MB.

I have to say the user interface of TivoTool is much easier to use than typing FSIDs into VLC! Thanks! I can't understand why it doesn't appear more often in these forums.

I hope this can help others... Especially those waiting for MacOSX versions of VLC tivo modules.
    Last edited by msui772; 08-24-2006 at 03:35 AM. Reason: corrected directory for mlplayer

I'm trying to follow the instructions above on my MBP, but think I may have done something wrong (I'm newish to the Mac so apologies if I've done something stupid!) :-) I've done the following:

1. Installed Tivotool latest and tested it. As per the report above it worked but performance wasn't the best.

2. Downloaded/installed ffmpegx, renamed ffmpeg to ffmpeg-ppc and created a new link as per above. Downloaded the packages required by ffmpegx as per it's own instructions.

Having followed the instructions above, I don't seem to have a copy of mplayer at /Applications/ffmpegX/. I've looked around a bit and I'm wondering if you meant to create a link to /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX/mplayer???

Lastly having located what I think is the correct mplayer, I can't change into the Tivotool directory as it's not visible in my terminal from the Application Support directory.

When I run Tivotool I get a list of programs, but when selecting something then 'Watch now', the buffering window pops up for moments and then closes... followed by nothing.

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong??

Thanks all,

Tom

Well got a little bit further by actually copying mplayer from /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX to /Library/Application Support/Tivotool and renaming to ttmplayer. The performance is still not good, and also there are no controls anywhere for the video (pause, stop, etc.) - should there be?

Lastly I have another version of mplayer ('Mplayer OSX') - v1.0pre8. Anyone know if it's possible to make these play in that version?

Cheers once again,

Tom

Sorry Tom, you are right I got the wrong directory 'cos I was writing from work (and from memory).
    The controls for mplayer are keyboard controls. I haven't had time to try many of them but space bar pauses, f goes full screen left and right arrows do what I'd expect...

as for the other version, try it and let us know :-)

Michael.

I tried the 'OSX' version and I can't seem to get Tivotool to launch it. It may be because I created the link from Finder rather than Terminal (as I'm not that good with Terminal as yet!)

The newer one is here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

If anyone else works it out let me know.

As for the performance issues I'm still not sure if it's my installation, my Tivo, or my wireless network! I fear the issue may be my Tivo as it has never been brilliant at streaming for whatever reason. If I get time tonight I may post the Tivo configuration details to see if anyone has a suggestion.

Cheers,

Tom

Performance issues streaming...

I'm happy to try and help, I am assuming the performance issues result in poor audio and or video. The first thing I would suggest is try using a wired network connection to see if it is the wireless link. I don't know what bandwidth the streaming uses and it probably depends on the quality of the recording but it would not surprise me if streaming doesnt work on an 802.11b network. Wireless links can be slowed down significantly if your network is configured for (802.11) b and g as any connections made to the wireless access point in b will slow down the wireless link for all g connections for compatibility. Also wireless links are shared usage of the bandwidth between all nodes on the network where wired links may or may not share the bandwidth depending on whether they are connected via a hub or a switch.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Michael

new version of mplayer

I don't think you will see much difference in performance going to a newer version of mplayer. For me the main difference was using the universal binary as opposed to using the PPC binary in Rosetta emulation.

Thanks.

All of the devices on my wireless network are 802.11g (1 bridge, 1 wireless printer, and the MBP). While I was streaming the video the other devices were inactive. I've always had excellent speeds with the wireless, so don't think this is the culprit.

My Tivo, on the other hand, has always had slow network performance. Tivoweb is even quite slow to load, as is transferring files (hacks etc.) to/from the Tivo.

I've checked my vserver implementation (rc.sysinit.author) and all looks ok. As far as I know vserver has no parameters that can be set. Is there a way to check the version of vserver? Maybe I need to upgrade it???

Lastly can you think of any network settings that would impact throughput? Clearly the Tivo is on the network and functional, but is there any tuning that can be done?

Thanks again,

Tom

Look for the MFS Soapbox Derby thread -- it's all about tuning to get better speed out of the Tivo.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.