Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 3 Extraction hacks?

Series 3 Extraction hacks?

Hello,
    Before you say it, i already used the search box. I couldnt find the answer there.

I am looking for a semi-newbie answer about series 3 extraction. I sucessfully hacked my series 1 tivo with tivoweb and tytools 6r4 about 10 years ago when it first came out. I understand the basics of linux. I understand the kernal lock tivo has implimented and how i will need to re-prom my box to allow unsigned code to run.

So the question is, after i re-prom my series 3, what other hoops does tivo put in their boxes before I can reinstall tytools and get my video extraction to work again. I have read about other kernel hacks, unscramble-s2, etc but i do not see any specific, organised guide to what needs to be hacked after the prom, and with what tools. Many of you guys remember the series 1 was easy to hack, but from what i have read the series 3 is much more difficult.

If you could be polite enough to list what steps i need to follow after the prom hack, i will be nice enough to continue to research the specifics of HOW to impliment those steps.

S3's don't really need to be hacked to pull shows off of them. You can get to the Now Playing List by browsing to https://mytivoaddress and log in with "tivo" as the username and your Media Access Key as your password. Any shows that don't have the copy inhibit flag set can then be downloaded as .tivo files. These can be easily converted to standard mpg2 files.

None of the above requires any modification to the S3/S2 v9.x boxes.

The only problem is that as shows start to be marked with a copy inhibit flag by the networks/cable companies, this will be available less and less. I'm already seeing the flag set by TWC on some channels on my TiVoHD.

I would love to see a method to strip off the copy inhibit flag.... and that would require a hack to the TiVo.

While you are a senior member and i have to trust you, pardon my skepticism, that sounds WAYYYYY to easy. My series one required lots of hacks to get it to run tytools. There are over thousands of posts on this foums about series 2 hacking and video extraction from S2 tivos. I have read tons of reports of people trying serial and kernel hacks to run f/oss software this these forums. But if you are telling me correctly, S3 video extraction is as easy as login from my web browser and right click save as. That seems way too easy. Are you telling me the reports of all the copy protection, and "unbreakable" encryption are all wrong?

I really really have my hopes high if it is as easy as right clicking, but I would guess that i would have to jump through 20-flaming hoops to get my tivo setup to do that. It doesnt sound like a "built in feature" especially since tivo-to-go is still disabled because of cable-labs bull---T.

So please tell me i am wrong and this is the easiest tivo ever to extract video from.

TivoToGo and MRV is no longer disable on Series3/THD. But, as was pointed out, if the shows are marked as copy protected they will not transfer via TTG or MRV. The https://tivoaddress example above is a way to bypass the TivoToGo app. Keep in mind, the .tivo file downloaded via either method will still be encrypted, but is easily defated using tivodecode.
    Last edited by jkozee; 05-20-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Wow, ::bows to wise jedi master::

So 3 last questions

1) Are these at the same resolution,bitrate,quality as on my tivo.
    2) How are the transfer speeds compared to other tools and utlities?
    3) If i was greedy and wanted even the restricted shows, after i got the prom mod, what is a good thread to read up on the next steps to get restricted shows.

Realistically, I do not care about all the thousand mods currently available, I just want to be able to record a show, any show , copy it off (within a reasonable transfer speed, keeping in mind i am used to old a$$ s1 tivo transfers, so i assume s3 will be faster MBS), and play it on any device i want. (Which is 99% of the time my laptop which i use for 3-6 week at sea trips)

From the sound of it, i am 95% there, but to get the other 5% of tagged shows, i need another 500% effort.

I appreciate your help guys, you always rock in my world!

Quote Originally Posted by mcamino View Post
    While you are a senior member and i have to trust you, pardon my skepticism, that sounds WAYYYYY to easy.
    So please tell me i am wrong and this is the easiest tivo ever to extract video from.
    You are wrong. It is that easy. I've done it many, many times. To convert, just google for tivodecode. Unlike other TiVo's, these files are almost literally just encrypted MPEGs with some extra information tacked on. They convert in moments.

P.S. The only tagged shows I've seen on my unit are those from HBO...

Comcast in my area flags everything but the OTA local rebroadcasts as CCI=0x02 (copy once, which prevents MRV, TTG, etc).

I've tried to use TTG on my unhacked S3 and it simply stops transferring after it hits about 2GB. I haven't figured out what's causing it yet but since my other S3 is hacked, I use it to record any shows that I want to transfer to my PC. My hacked S3 transfers shows using TyTools in a fraction of the time compared to using TTG. Transfers of shows using TTG is done approximately in real time so if you have a show that's 2 hours or longer it's going to take quite a while. I'm on FIOS and have never run into a show that had the copy flag set, but then it may not get set unless the show is being transferred via TTG. I had my S3 hacked long before TTG was implemented on these models so I never really had much use for TTG.

I've built up a small library of HD movies that have been extracted from HBO-HD, HDNet Movies, UHD, TNT-HD, AEHD, and others. Using the method outlined at the AVSForums, I have been able to author the shows and burn them to DVD as HD-DVDs using standard DVD recordable media and my existing DVD burner. They will play back in any set top HD-DVD player in Hi-Def with Dolby Digital audio. Who said HD-DVD was dead? The only caveat is that you can only get between 30 and 60 minutes of video on each disc. I used to own a laserdisc player so having to swap discs during a movie is old hat to me.

The bottom line is that transfers can be performed without any surgery on your Tivo. The shows are encrypted and may require a special app or software tool to work with it. OTOH, I believe VideoReDo will work with .tivo files directly and convert them to mpg or ts files and strip out the encryption. I've done this with some episodes of Robot Chicken I recorded off the Cartoon Network (using the unhacked S3) that were transferred using TTG and it worked fine.

Transfers can be sped up considerably if you decide to hack your S3 Tivo. This also allows you to install a host of other hacks, although the vast majority of hacks developed for the S1 and S2 Tivos have not been ported over to the S3 platform yet. Check the S3 support forum for a thread that describes the basic process for hacking your S3 Tivo. I should also mention that if you have more than one S3 and you want to use MRV you'll need to hack all of them to allow transfers between them. You can actually transfer shows using MRV between a hacked and an unhacked unit but you will be unable to play them back.
    Last edited by captain_video; 05-21-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks captain_video for your thoughts.
    Okay you bring up an interesting point, do i need the prom mod to run tytools and telnet?

and is there a specific thread, besides, http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53492, which give me an idea how to get "copy inhibited" shows off my tivo. once i follow that above link, (which is my todo list pretty much) and run tytools, does tytools honor that flag?

The search box is wonderful, but this forum is so popular that i get 20 people with 40 different opinions with 80 different pages of ways to do it, and sedomly can i find a concensus in a thread or between threads.

Quote Originally Posted by mcamino View Post
    Thanks captain_video for your thoughts.
    Okay you bring up an interesting point, do i need the prom mod to run tytools and telnet?

and is there a specific thread, besides, http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53492, which give me an idea how to get "copy inhibited" shows off my tivo. once i follow that above link, (which is my todo list pretty much) and run tytools, does tytools honor that flag?

The search box is wonderful, but this forum is so popular that i get 20 people with 40 different opinions with 80 different pages of ways to do it, and sedomly can i find a concensus in a thread or between threads.
    The PROM mod is required for any hack to S3 beyond replacing the hard drive.

tytools does not care about the inhibit flag.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    I've tried to use TTG on my unhacked S3 and it simply stops transferring after it hits about 2GB.
    Are you sure you're extracting to a filesystem that supports large files (>2GB)?

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig View Post
    Are you sure you're extracting to a filesystem that supports large files (>2GB)?
    I've extracted shows >22GB so I'd have to say yes. I'm using XP Pro formatted with NTFS. I get an error message using TTG that the transfer was terminated prematurely so maybe it's an internal network issue. I recently upgraded my home LAN to a gigabit setup so it's possible I may have a flaky cable somewhere even though I tested them all before I installed them.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I'll try it in the next day and let you know currently extracting a couple of 10 g files off the hacked pair of s3's I have .. still experiementing with putting them back on with mfs_ftp ... doesn't seem to always work.

If you pay the $25 "pro" fee, the TiVo Desktop software allows you to load shows back up to your unhacked unit. It will work with a variety of common formats including .mpg and .tivo files. Some of the sketchy files extracted from older TiVo's don't work so well, but nicely formatted mpegs work fine.