Thread: Transferring Lifetime from Broken Unit... without Original Owner Info?

Unhappy Transferring Lifetime from Broken Unit... without Original Owner Info?

From what I've gathered around here, this generally isn't an option...
    but I've heard inklings of an unsupported solution to the problem.

I bought this unit that Tivo verifies as having lifetime service from an electronics liquidator, but the original owner's information is long gone, and now all I have is a broken Tivo with a $150 serial number.

Apparently Tivo can transfer this information if I'm able to get the unit working and it can connect to their servers, but I'm not really all that technically savvy, and it would be hard for me to pinpoint what the problem really is in order to fix it. I'm somewhat confident that if I can learn about a different hardware modification solution to my problem, I'll be able to handle it.

So, is there a hardware modification solution to my problem? Possibly a part that would need to be moved to a working unit, or a memory chip that needs to be soldered?

Is there anyone who can hint me in the right direction?

The TSN is stored on the Atmel crypto chip which would need to be swapped with the crypto chip from the new unit. The model of the old and new units must match exactly.
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    The TSN is stored on the Atmel crypto chip which would need to be swapped with the crypto chip from the new unit. The model of the old and new units must match exactly.

That was fast... Thanks for the info! Does anyone know if these are tough to remove? I'm OK with a soldering iron, but not spectacular.

I'm hoping my issue is power supply / hard drive related, but still need to do some digging. I'm leaning towards it being a motherboard issue...

Quote Originally Posted by McCambletron View Post
    That was fast... Thanks for the info! Does anyone know if these are tough to remove? I'm OK with a soldering iron, but not spectacular.

I'm hoping my issue is power supply / hard drive related, but still need to do some digging. I'm leaning towards it being a motherboard issue...
    The difficulty is on par with removing and socketing the PROM chip, with the added risk that if you cook your Atmel chip, you won't be able to find a $2 replacement.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.

Before you heat up a soldering iron, have you tried loading an image onto a drive and trying it in the $150 TiVo? In general, liquidators don't spend a lot of time trying to fix these. Making sure th power cord is plugged in is about the limit of many.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    Before you heat up a soldering iron, have you tried loading an image onto a drive and trying it in the $150 TiVo? In general, liquidators don't spend a lot of time trying to fix these. Making sure th power cord is plugged in is about the limit of many.

PlainBill
    I haven't gotten that far... aside from the other forum on this site, where can I track down a virgin HD image? I hoped torrents would be the answer to my problem... but cant seem to find any. Searching Rapidshare has some results, but I don't know how to figure out what I'm looking for.

How do I figure out what image my model needs? Is it extremely specific to model number?

Quote Originally Posted by McCambletron View Post
    How do I figure out what image my model needs? Is it extremely specific to model number?
    yes. you could start by posting the model number here, maybe someone could see it and help out. look on emule for some images.

If you're REALLY in a pinch you could always purchase an InstantCake disc from DVRupgrade.
    .-=Omikron=-.

Thanks for the tips! Those InstantCake discs might just end up coming
    in handy if I can't find a working HD from the same model number.

I just picked up some Torx bits at the hardware store...
    going to try swapping some HDs and power supplies this weekend.
    ...I picked up a couple other units for parts.

I believe they are all TCD540040s... Can hard drives between like models
    simply be swapped, or will anything need to be done to the Tivo to get it
    to recognize the new hard drive?

I got one to the main menu, but when I tried to play a recorded show it
    attempted to play it, then immediately told me I was done and asked if I
    wanted to delete it. Is this a HD failure symptom? It also kept telling me it
    wasn't receiving a cable signal when it most definitely was, and wouldn't
    let me watch live tv.

Much love to everyone courteous enough to help my obnoxious ass!

one more thing....

Before I go... could a TCD540080 hard drive be swapped into a TCD540040 Tivo? Or do they have to fully match?

Yes. Remember to "Clear and Delete All" after installing the hard drive.

Or run 51killer.tcl.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandPaw View Post
    Or run 51killer.tcl.
    Of course, running 51killer requires a hacked system, not trivial on a Series 2.5.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Right, Bill...I neglected to take into account the model.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."