Thread: burn blue-ray

Hybrid View

burn blue-ray

Now that hd dvd is dead. anyone have any suggestions on how to compose and burn blue ray dvd's from extracted hd movies... don't think any movies will fit on even double layer disks so it will have to be blue ray moving forward I believe..

Here's one way. There's also tons of information here.

Who said HD-DVD was dead? Toshiba may have given up on the format but it is definitely alive and well. I've been creating my own homebrew HD-DVDs from HD content extracted from my S3 Tivos for over a year using the process outlined here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146

HD-DVD players can be had for next to nothing these days so if you're looking to create your own library of HD movies then this is by far the most cost effective method for doing so. You can use standard inexpensive DVD recordable media and your existing DVD burner instead of investing in an expensive BD burner and media. The results look as good as the original broadcast signal and the digital audio soundtrack is preserved intact. BD recordable media is still way too expensive for backing up movies when you realize you can buy the commercial BD release for only a few dollars more, plus it contains all the extras and is in 1080p instead of 720p or 1080i, not to mention it still contains the hi-def audio soundtracks as well.

The one major caveat is that you are limted to about 30-45 minutes per single layer DVD but sometimes you can squeeze a bit more depending on the amount of compression used in the original signal. You'll get even more if you choose to use dual-layer recordable DVDs. This means having to get up and swap discs at least once during a movie. Since I used to own laserdiscs I'm used to the concept of swapping discs for movie playback so it never bothered me. Single layer DVDs are dirt cheap and I'm too stingy to splurge on DL discs so I never use them personally. I've also read that many people get mixed results when using them, but it's been a while since I frequented the thread I referenced so that may have changed.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

it is dead because they are stopping making the blank disks and I don't want to have to split movies up over multiple standard dvd disks.. all my movies except 1 so far in hd would not fit on a Double layer standard disk.

so moving forward for burning hd movies to a single disk the only solution will be blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn View Post
    it is dead because they are stopping making the blank disks and I don't want to have to split movies up over multiple standard dvd disks.. all my movies except 1 so far in hd would not fit on a Double layer standard disk.

so moving forward for burning hd movies to a single disk the only solution will be blu-ray
    What's the current price per GB for blueray media? Seems like around $15 for 25GB or $0.60 / GB. It might be cheaper to buy harddisks for movie storage, at least until the BR media price drops.

yes i am waiting till they come down can find some for 7.99 for 25 gig now.. low enough that i might play around to see how it goes to get a little experieence doing it... but you are correct i am waiting for them to come down... but they will be the future.

also i have bought hard drivers for storage .. also looking for an inexpensive raid case that can hold 4-8 disks and let me buy my own sata disks and put them in.. my current raid case has 2 750 gig disks that are ide and wont last long and ide now is more expensive than sata.. the other problem is that I dont want to upgrade the storage computer and dont really want NAS just ide 1.1/2.0 connectivity... not having much luck finding one.. any suggestions here would also be appreciated

also you cannot trust hard drivers for long term storage i still believe in backing up to 2ndary media ... i have had too many hard drives go bad and even whole raid arrays ... ie accidentially bump cables and have it mark all drives as dead.
    Last edited by lgkahn; 06-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.

thanks not sure this will meet my needs that is why i want just raid with usb 1.1/2.0 connectivity as i have a celeron pc with 4 internal drives , and 2 external drive cases with drives over usb.. want to upgrade one of those.. dont want to replace the pc it is already running windows 2000, and has over 4 tb of storage.. it is also running ftp so i it runs movieloader and tivoserver shares to share both to my dtivos and the newer series 3's. it does sound cool will keep looking into it.. guess i could use it over nas.. but really just want a raid case that i can put drives in without nas ... and just plug it in.. the 2 port raid case i have now that only takes ie drivers is working great.. just want a bigger one for sata drives that still works over usb.

have been trying movie factory 6 plus .. not very good..
    it will not load .mpg files converted from tivo with tytompg
    it hangs

it also will not load those converted with hdhack or videoredo same issue...

it will load he .ts file converted with s3tots but insists on converting it at 1%/hour.. not useable...

any suggestions

ok here is what I have found ..

could not use movie factory 6 plus.. it always hangs opening .mpgs from the tivo even those remuxed with videoredo.. it opens .ts streams ok but hangs a few hours into converting..

trying nero8 a little better results but no matter what i do.. ie repatch the bitrate with hdpatch or remux with videoredo it insists on transcoding tye video file which takes about 10 hours.

i am now trying a program called tsremux which opens the .ts file created from s3tots fine and has an option to create blue ray file structure so far it has doen about 66 percent in only 10 minutes.. looks like this might be my appraoch to get to blu ray burnt disks

1. extract with mfs ftp/movieloader (works great)
    2. convert with s3tots
    3. remux with tsremux
    4. burn with nero

will keep you informed of my progress or if anyone has suggestions let me know.

ps. I am not the only one complaining about moviefactory 6 hanging there are posts on their site about this...

tsmuxer the resulting blue ray files on disk play in nero showtime but stop and sutter.. .using tsreumx they play fine..

also I have burned two movies converted to blue ray format using the outline above to dvd 9 dl disks underdog and idiocracy (they both just barely fit in the 8.5gig

I will try playing them on various blue ray players at best buy and let you know the results...

There are sometimes issues with opening mpegs with DVD Movie Factory 6. I've found that running them through Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard DVD using the GOP Fixer feature will usually correct any errors and allow the mpeg file to open right up in MF6. Otherwise, some of them can take a long time to open and process. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason as to why this happens but most mpegs only take about 15 minutes from start to finish to open, create chapter stops, and process to a DVD file set ready for burning. The problematic files can take hours just to open. They will load eventually so even though the program appears to be locked up, they will eventually finish. Check the hard drive activity LED and I'll bet it's on solid when the program hangs. There are lots of posts on this issue in the HD DVD software section of the AVSForum in the sticky thread for creating HD-DVDs.

I usually like to convert my S3 files using s3tots and then edit them with VideoReDo but continue to save them as transport streams. Once they've been edited, I'll run the entire file through the GOP Fixer. Sometimes it just scans the file without creating an output fix file, which usually indicates a problematic file. If it creates the fix file then I know I'm good to go. From there I split the main file into smaller mpegs (saved as mpg's at this point) and then run the individual mpg's through DVDMF6.

FWIW, I used to run into the exact same issues using files from my HDTivos and tytompg. TyTools works great with S3 files as there is no size limitation like there used to be with the HDTivos. I've transferred files over 30GB with no problem.

I've been using tsremux for several months now for stripping out the unwanted extras from ripped Blu-Ray discs that I store on my unRAID server to conserve space. I hadn't thought to use it with my Tivo files but it sounds like it may be doing the same thing as GOP fixer when it remuxes the file.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!