Thread: Will Tivo or DirecTV care if I use two different drives?

Will Tivo or DirecTV care if I use two different drives?

I have an older Series 2 Phillips DSR7000 DirecTivo and I've got two drives for it. The original 40GB that came with it and also the upgraded 120GB that is currently in the Tivo.

What I'm wanting to know is, the 120GB drive is updated to that of 6.4a but the original 40GB drive is probably on 6.2x or 6.3. What I'm wanting to know is will Tivo or DirecTV care if I put the old 40GB drive in long enough for it to get the 6.4a? Or will they not like that?

Thank you!

Ted

don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    don't worry about it.
    So I can do that and I will be fine? Just wanting to make double sure here for some of the people I've talked to on the phone with DirecTV aren't the nicest and most understanding about things.

you'll be fine. take everything a directv rep says with a truckload of salt.

Just watch out for the DirecTV cops. They've got helicopters, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted J View Post
    I have an older Series 2 Phillips DSR7000 DirecTivo and I've got two drives for it. The original 40GB that came with it and also the upgraded 120GB that is currently in the Tivo.

What I'm wanting to know is, the 120GB drive is updated to that of 6.4a but the original 40GB drive is probably on 6.2x or 6.3. What I'm wanting to know is will Tivo or DirecTV care if I put the old 40GB drive in long enough for it to get the 6.4a? Or will they not like that?

Thank you!

Ted
    I don't think DirecTV cares what you do as long as they get there money and it does not put them at risk of making money.
    (2) DirecTV HR10-250 both 400 Gig <6.3f networked via Tivo wireless G adapter>
    (1) Directv Philips DSR704 223 hr <6.2a networked via D-Link DWL-122>
    (1) HR20-700 networked <software 0x23d ethernet cable via router Belkin F5D7231-4>
    (1) HR20-100 netowrked <software 0x23d via Netgear XE103 wall-plugged adapter>

Quote Originally Posted by Ted J View Post
    will Tivo or DirecTV care if I put the old 40GB drive in long enough for it to get the 6.4a? Or will they not like that?
    Most of my DirecTivos have always had external hard drive cases that take hard drives mounted in removable cartridges. In the early days when 120 GB was about max, I would have a stack of hard drives cartridges sitting next to the Tivos and was swapping all the time, literally dozens of hard drives with a variety of OS's. I still have one like that for experimenting and frequently change from one system to another. Never had any trouble with DirecTV or Tivo.