Thread: Are there any hacks for The TIVO HD?

Arrow Are there any hacks for The TIVO HD?

I would like to know if theres a hack to allow tivo to play any video file. like upgrade its codec, etc to play .mkv videos

without converting them

I have the TIVO HD. dont know if thats a series 2 or series 3. cause its not the THX version

does anyone know a site or place that do hack for TIVO HD

Quote Originally Posted by itzthrillz View Post
    I would like to know if theres a hack to allow tivo to play any video file. like upgrade its codec, etc to play .mkv videos

without converting them

I have the TIVO HD. dont know if thats a series 2 or series 3. cause its not the THX version

does anyone know a site or place that do hack for TIVO HD
    Look into something called pyTivo - although I'm not sure of it's ability to transfer mkv files. pytivo does not require a hacked tivo but FYI you have a Series 3 (TivoHD) which requires a hardware (PROM) mod to hack.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 07-20-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Can u direct me exact url link to where to start?

also whhat does the mod doo? what else features

It's not a hack. The utility pyTivo will convert the file on the fly without user intervention (which is what I believe you want). There is no way to get the TiVo to play a video other than an MPEG-2 without converting it, but using pyTivo one needn't transcode manually. Note transcoding takes longer than simply transferring, and you may not be able to transfer HD video with recoding in real time. If your system is moderately fast, transferring SD video in real time should be no problem. Using pyTivo does not require hacking the TiVo in any way.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

is there a program. where can u can transfer HD recovers from tivo to your pc? without tivo desktop. cause some HD recording saying copyright protection and cant move them over

Quote Originally Posted by itzthrillz View Post
    is there a program.
    the name 'pyTivo' has already been said 4 times. see what the google search engine tells you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    the name 'pyTivo' has already been said 4 times. see what the google search engine tells you about it.
    I don't think it's going to help for copy protected programs (that is, CCI byte != 0x00). For that, you need a hacked tivo.
    Last edited by Jamie; 07-20-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I don't think it's going to help for copy protected programs (that is, CCI byte != 0x00). For that, you need a hacked tivo.
    duh@me, thanks jamie. would tivodecode not work in this situation? you'd lose the show metadata but otherwise the file could be decrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    duh@me, thanks jamie. would tivodecode not work in this situation? you'd lose the show metadata but otherwise the file could be decrypted.
    You can't transfer CCI!=0x00 shows using TTG protocol with any tools that I know of -- the tivo won't allow it. You have to hack your tivo and either figure out how to override the CCI code, or use other extraction tools (e.g. mfs_ftp). Comcast in my area marks all the digital channels, other than the OTA simulcasts, as CCI=0x02.

For non-copy protected shows, however, galleon works famously, and requires no hacking. If TiVo Desktop or MRV can transfer the file, then galleon can, as well. For encrypted files, you'll need to break out the soldering iron, or get someone to do a prom mod for you. Search this forum for info on prom mods. Search "the other TiVo forum" for info on galleon, or go here.

Is there a site to buy mods? for tivo

'Not exactly. There are a handful of forum participants who are capable and willing to mod a TiVo for you. The main one is Omikron, but he is not doing any prom mods himself at the moment. If you're good with a soldering iron on surface mount chips, you can buy the PROM from him and DIY. Otherwise, you will either need to wait for Omikron's next PROM day (hopefully either later this summer or in the fall), or find someone else willling to do it for you.

Omikron's PROM mod thread is here.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 07-24-2008 at 12:55 AM.