Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better solution for blocking updates ? Brainstorm ?

Quote Originally Posted by tiver View Post
    That is indeed what my 'bootpage -p' outputs.
    What does
    Code:
    set | grep upgrade
    say?

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn View Post
    i would say pilot error both of my boxes are rebooting nightly to try to install the upgrade to 9.4 but the upgradesoftware flag is working and they are not installing it.

are you sure your hacks are not getting blown away just due to a rewritten /var

this is what the flag should look like

bash-2.02# bootpage -p
    No device name given, assuming /dev/hda
    root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=1,115200 upgradesoftware=false
    bash-2.02#
    An update.

Tivo force-updated my system today.

My bootpage output was perfect, upgrade flag was correct, AND I had modified the script as instructed in this thread so that the upgrade script could no longer even run.

And now I am force updated, all hacks gone, back to square one.

I have nothing better to do than open up this god-damned thing every four months and muck around with USB cables and MFS cds. Really.

I'm not sure what the point is anymore anyway, since HD content in the US is all so bit-starved its barely worth saving anyway. Local comcast just dropped HDNet movies, which was the last _actual_ HD channel left. All the rest are simply widescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by tiver View Post
    An update.

Tivo force-updated my system today.

My bootpage output was perfect, upgrade flag was correct, AND I had modified the script as instructed in this thread so that the upgrade script could no longer even run.

And now I am force updated, all hacks gone, back to square one.
    My boxes weren't force updated. Don't know why yours would be.

I have nothing better to do than open up this god-damned thing every four months and muck around with USB cables and MFS cds. Really.

I'm not sure what the point is anymore anyway, since HD content in the US is all so bit-starved its barely worth saving anyway. Local comcast just dropped HDNet movies, which was the last _actual_ HD channel left. All the rest are simply widescreen.
    So quit messing with it. Your posts have mostly been complaining, so hacking your tivo seems to be quite a burden for you.

The hacking is not the burden.

The re-hacking (and architecting my life around the tivo) is the burden.