Thread: S2 Tivo bought... with Lifetime??

S2 Tivo bought... with Lifetime??

Hey. I have 4 different DTivo units, 3 working and 2 of them upgraded, so I'm not completely new to Tivos. However, while browsing in my local donation/resale shop I was surprised to find a S2 SA Tivo. Needless to say I decided to grab it anyway and risk a big $3.75 (), figuring I could manage to put in a new drive if it was bad, or just pull the drive if some other part of the unit was bad. I get it home, plug it in and much to my surprise, it starts right up. All recordings deleted, but I recovered a couple and they played fine. So I take a closer look at the unit details and find it says
    Account Status 5: Product Lifetime Service.
    Some other details:
    Model: TCD540080
    with Maxtor 80GB DiamondMax 16
    SW: 8.3-01-2-540
    Last updated April 2008

Now comes the issue(s). I've only dealt with DTivo monthly and don't know anything about lifetime subscription or SA units in general other than what they have in common with DTivo units and whatever I've read here after a couple searches.
    I can't imagine anyone discarding this, unless it really has not much value, so is it possible the 'lifetime' subscription was moved to a S3/HD unit or something like that and as soon as I try to update the guide it will reflect that? Or maybe it's what I've heard some people mention about 'hacking' lifetime service and was discarded because of it....

So. Is there some way I can check the real status of the unit, without possibly ruining it or something?
    I wouldn't want to have anything to do with stealing service, but if it's really lifetime subscribed, couldn't I just keep using it without letting TIVO know it's changed ownership?
    I figure TIVO can see the phone number if I let it call in as it's the same for my DTIVO units. Would setting up network connection then make a difference?

Thanks for reading at any rate,
    Dan
    Last edited by danzilla; 07-26-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Go ahead and force a daily call, won't hurt anything. The worst that could happen is it doesn't have service, but from what it sounds like, I think you lucked up.

So the TIVO people wouldn't care that it's changed hands? Or would they possibly not even notice it was calling in from a different phone # (and same used by my DTivos)?

I always thought they watched that kind of thing, if only to avoid people subscribing multiple TIVOs on a single account and then sharing them with friends/family.

You should force a call in. It might just be that the lifetime got transferred to another box. The only way to tell would be to have it call in.

Thanks for the replies. I guess that as long as I put off actually finding out for sure... I can still 'have' a lifetime subscribe SA TIVO that I feel happy about buying for just a few bucks.

PS. Win some lose some. Just a week after finding a 'working' SA TIVO, my upstairs TV (mine, rest are "the family's") just stopped working in the middle of a show.

Quote Originally Posted by danzilla View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess that as long as I put off actually finding out for sure... I can still 'have' a lifetime subscribe SA TIVO that I feel happy about buying for just a few bucks.

PS. Win some lose some. Just a week after finding a 'working' SA TIVO, my upstairs TV (mine, rest are "the family's") just stopped working in the middle of a show.
    I don't see the down side here. Now you have a choice. You can purchase a nice HD TV, or you can really beat the price down on an analog tv.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

An update for anyone that responded or might be interested. Turns out it was able to phone in and downloaded SW update just fine to 9.3-01-2-540, still reads lifetime subscription.
    Tried connecting again for service data, but S03 error while trying to load. Yada, yada, yada, dozen different tries, phone and network, kickstart 57,58,52, still S03, though it did load 1 day's worth of guide data somewhere along the way, every time I try it fails.

At least now I think I know why it was donated.
    Will play with upgrading when I have some time, but will have to just shelf it for now.

Turns out it was able to phone in and downloaded SW update just fine to 9.3-01-2-540, still reads lifetime subscription.
    you got yourself a lifetime'd box then. replace the hard drive and it'll probably work fine.

Perform a clear and delete program data. That will clear out the S03. At least that has been my experience.

FYI, It will take about an hour and you will loose SPs and todolist.

An update for anyone that responded or might be interested. Turns out it was able to phone in and downloaded SW update just fine to 9.3-01-2-540, still reads lifetime subscription.
    Tried connecting again for service data, but S03 error while trying to load. Yada, yada, yada, dozen different tries, phone and network, kickstart 57,58,52, still S03, though it did load 1 day's worth of guide data somewhere along the way, every time I try it fails.

At least now I think I know why it was donated.
    Will play with upgrading when I have some time, but will have to just shelf it for now.
    Last edited by magnusss; 08-30-2008 at 10:18 AM.

For pete sake. I read multiple posts on S03 errors and everything I saw talked about disk errors and using kickstart codes. I didn't notice anyone suggest just deleting all the settings/recordings. Maybe that fix was just considered too basic, but I didn't think of it. I assumed it was something more troublesome from the start.
    Anyway, it did take a good bit longer than an hour for some reason (2 hours?), but afterward it was able to restart and get a full 2 weeks program guide without error. So it looks like that suggestion did the trick... for now.
    Thanks.

Dan.

I've found that this usually happens... the S03... when you don't connect for a very long time.

Also, you don't need a clear and delete everything.... just a clear and delete program data. If you do a C&DE then it will delete your recordings.

Anyway, maybe someone in need will come across this post and be able to fix their issue.

I'm glad it worked for you and sounds like you got a very good deal.

For pete sake. I read multiple posts on S03 errors and everything I saw talked about disk errors and using kickstart codes. I didn't notice anyone suggest just deleting all the settings/recordings. Maybe that fix was just considered too basic, but I didn't think of it. I assumed it was something more troublesome from the start.
    Anyway, it did take a good bit longer than an hour for some reason (2 hours?), but afterward it was able to restart and get a full 2 weeks program guide without error. So it looks like that suggestion did the trick... for now.
    Thanks.

Dan.
    Last edited by magnusss; 09-03-2008 at 10:44 PM.