Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing CopyProtectionInfo from S3/TivoHD Recordings

Removing CopyProtectionInfo from S3/TivoHD Recordings

Up until recently, I had no issues with the CCI byte being set on any of my digital channels. However, in the past few days Comcast has implemented this on a few of my premium channels. Here's a simple script I wrote to nuke the offending MFS values and open these recordings up to MRV.

This is a very simple script with hardly any error checking. Usage is 'tivosh cpi_remover.tcl <fsid>' where <fsid> is the fsid of the show you want to "fix". There are numerous ways to find the fsid, one is via the NPL by pressing info and noting the Recording ObjID of the afflicted program.

This is meant to ONLY be used on recordings that were otherwise unscrambled, ie recorded after applying the NoCSO tivoapp patch. All this does is allow you to use TTG or MRV with the show instead of relying on the mfs_* utils {mfs_ftp, tytools, etc} for extracting the show. This tool will only allow MRV transfers. TTG transfers will fail as noted by jkozee below. Standard tools based upon the mfs_* utils will still work without issue.

IF YOU HAVEN'T PATCHED TIVOAPP TO DISABLE CSO ENCRYPTION, THEN DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS SCRIPT!
    Last edited by jt1134; 11-01-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Be still, my heart! You realize at first glance your thread title might indicate the holy grail: MRV for all on an unhacked Tivo.

But still a great added capability, requiring only minimum hacking and thereafter allowing the use of only standard tools for the crippled programs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    All this does is allow you to use TTG or MRV with the show instead of relying on the mfs_* utils
    IIRC this approach only works for MRV and not TTG. TTG sees shows as unprotected, but it will not transfer.

Awesome script jt1134!! Before I bork my recordings, is there any way to run the script on a bunch of shows [or all] at a time?

<this would also allow for a cron job to be run daily to allow mrvs>
    Last edited by phdeez; 10-31-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Here's a script I've used to strip drm from all shows. It is based on a snippet that jt1134 posted a while back. You need to call this script as "RemoveDrmAll.tcl ready" to process all shows, otherwise you will just get a list of shows that will be processed.

Quote Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
    IIRC this approach only works for MRV and not TTG. TTG sees shows as unprotected, but it will not transfer.
    Bah...you're right. It appears the shows that I tested it on must have had the CopyProtectionInfo object present, but were not actually protected. I just made a few test recordings, verified they were "protected", ran the script and tried to extract them with TD and they failed. Sorry for any confusion.

A few errors were logged in tvlog when the transfer failed, and I found several strings in tivoapp correlating with them. If only I knew where to start there, I'd just patch tivoapp to ignore the CCI byte completely (Any assembly gurus in the house? ). At least MRV works.
    Last edited by jt1134; 11-01-2008 at 10:00 PM.

At least MRV works.
    Have you tried using TTG on the show on the new TiVo, AFTER you have moved it using MRV?

Quote Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
    Have you tried using TTG on the show on the new TiVo, AFTER you have moved it using MRV?
    I would have, had I thought about it. I deactivated my second tivo the other day, and my other TivoHD is on another account, so no more MRV for me for a while. If only I could figure out a tivoapp patch to allow MRV between tivos on different accounts. mfs_uberexport+vserver still works fine though.

So, I tried jkozee's RemoveDRMAll script and it successfully stripped the DRM info from my unscrambled shows, but MRV from my hacked TivoHD -> unhacked TivoHD failed. I then tried jt1134's cpi_remover.tcl script on an unscrambled but DRM'd stream and it said successful, but again, MRV fails.

I say DRM is gone because when I view the Now Playing List it lists the shows that previously had a red "no" sign over them, and allows me to transfer those shows to the unhacked TivoHD, but when I try to start the show it just stalls [black screen with the time bar on the bottom].

Is this expected behavior? These scripts only work between hacked units?

Quote Originally Posted by phdeez View Post
    These scripts only work between hacked units?
    correct. that's the way it's always been.

Quote Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
    It's been a while since I played with these scripts, but I'm pretty sure that it will still fail. I also believe that if you transfer a show from the PC to the TiVo, you can MRV between units, but you can't transfer it back to the PC.

correct. that's the way it's always been.
    Well, thats a damn shame . Guess I'll have to use mfs tools to get it off the tivo, then serve it back to my network via pytivo.

Guess I dropped in a TB in the wrong spot... should have been in a media server sitting next to my hacked tivo...

Quote Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
    Here's a script I've used to strip drm from all shows. It is based on a snippet that jt1134 posted a while back. You need to call this script as "RemoveDrmAll.tcl ready" to process all shows, otherwise you will just get a list of shows that will be processed.
    So (Newbie here) I would just telnet this using the following command:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /tvbin
    cp RemoveDrmAll.tcl
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    ... and this should remove the block on pre-modded shows?

Your cp command isn't doing anything, it needs two arguments. It also depends on where you upload the RemoveDrmAll.tcl file (probably should just put it in /var).

So it would be:
    Code:
    cd /var
    chmod 755 RemoveDrmAll.tcl
    RemoveDrmAll.tcl ready

see next post
    Last edited by Heartbreaker; 02-24-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: change in post