Thread: Directv multiswitch config question

Directv multiswitch config question

I've been researching this a while, but I can't get the specifics for the following:

I have a round dual LNB that was installed by a provider. The two lines feed into a 3x4 Zinwell SAM-3402 multiswitch.

Two outputs go into the living room for the dual tuner there. Each of the other two feed up into one bedroom each.

I want to feed dual lines into both bedrooms now.

I could use a stacker/destacker combo, but that's going to cost over $400 for the hardware.

Instead, I'm looking to run new wire to each bedroom.

This means another multiswitch.

It's not practical to replace the Zinwell with an 3x8 because of the position of the external box and the wiring that would be required.

What I'd like to do is take the two lines coming into the living room (for the dual tuner) and use them as the inputs for the 3x8, and the run two lines from 6 of the outputs (leaving 2 available for future use), with 2 lines each for the livingroom and each bedroom.

I have read that multiswitches are stackable, but not exactly how they should be wired.

So, what I want to know is:

1) How would I wire this?
    2) Is there any benefit to a powered or non powered multiswitch in this situation? The two I'm considering are Steren 3x8 Satellite IF Multiswitches
    201737 : http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...st-201737.html
    201738 : http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...st-201738.html

3) A lot of the search I did turned up the SWM8. However, it's a 5x8. I only have a single DUAL LNB. Is the SWM8 a better pick than either of the other two? Is there any reason I should consider it above either of the Steren's?

Thanks!

The SWM-8 requires both a 5LNB dish and a compatible DirecTV receiver (H2x, HR2x).

What you want to do should work with cascadable multiswitches, but I'm not well versed in that.
    Steve

Many multiswitches can be stacked. I prefer using powered ones. However, I would suggest NOT stacking them, if at all possible.

It would appear from your description that stacking is not necessary. As I visualize your present setup, two cables run from the dish to the Zinwell 3x4. Two wires run from the 3x4 to the living room. The other two outputs of the Zinwell each feed one cable to the two bedrooms. You are proposing to place a 3x8 multiswitch in the living room, then running two cables from there to each of the bedrooms.

Suggestions: Remove the Zinwell. Use splicing connectors to connect the cables from the dish directly to the cables to the living room. Also, most entertainment centers have a rat's nest of cables behind them. A powered 3 x 8 multiswitch will make the matter much worse. If at all possible, place the multiswitch in a closet. It'll look better, and it's much less likely that a cable will be ripped out by accident.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I hadn't considered using the splicing connectors to get the feed into the living room. Thank you! I'll definitely add that to the list. It may well be the way I go.

Thanks again