Thread: Mounting series 1 drive

Hybrid View

Mounting series 1 drive

I need a little help. My series 1 has been hacked for a long long time. I had set the ethernet ip as static. Recently I changed my lan configuration to resolve a VPN issue. I knew I had to change the static ip address on the tivo and in a moment of extreme weakness I used the tool in TivoWeb 2. For whatever reason that didn't work and now the tivo does not have an ip address.

Okay, main problem is that I am all mac. I used to have access to an old pc box that I did the initial hack with, but that machine moved away. I am able to get into diagnostic mode via serial connection but I never get a bash prompt.

I pulled the drive and tried to mount on my mac using the ext2fs extention but that didn't work. The mac sees but won't mount the drive.

I have both vmware fusion and parallels on my intel imac so I have been trying all sorts of variations of boot disks along with a ATA/USB bridge. I tried the mfstools image, jenkins image, mfslive image, the knoppix 3 lite image as well as a full ubuntu install and a knoppix 5.1.1 install.

I get farthest with the mfslive image. All I need to do is mount the 4 partition so I can text edit a file.

The main problem is that the usb bridge mounts the disk as sda or sdb and I run into the byteswapping issue. Under mfslive pdisk will see the sda partition but will not mount it.

I am trying to find someone local with an old pc box that they can let me borrow, but so far no luck. Just about everyone I know uses laptops.

Is there anyway to get around the byteswapping issue?

Thanks
    Last edited by aersloat; 12-04-2008 at 01:21 AM.

I think you have all the ingredients.

Boot your MFSLive vmware machine
    Choose byteswapping at startup (option 2 i think)
    Try to mount the drive

I use MFSLive under VMWare in Windows. I've found Ive had better luck by NOT connecting the drive to the machine, booting the VM, making sure the VM has focus and USB mapping is enabled and then plugging in the USB bridge. This way MFSLive sees the USB insertion directly. I can't remember why I had to do this but it solved some issue I was having.

As far as I can tell byteswapping in the kernel of any of the isos that I have found only applies to /hdx mounted drives, not drives mounted at /sdx, ie only drives that are on a true ide bus rather than a usb bridge or external USB enclosure. I know that there is a kernel patch floating around and I have tried to build a new kernel with it but so far I have not been able to do so. I am fairly *nix savvy but I have no experience building patched kernels. I think I found someone with a tower though so I may be set.

It would be great if one of the isos could be rebuilt with the byteswap module... I mean by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

What if you

Add a new virtual disk to the VM. Make it an IDE drive of slightly larger size than the Tivo drive. Make a partition on that drive exactly the same size as partition 4 on the Tivo drive. Use DD to mirror them. Then reboot the VM but this time with byte swapping enabled and try to mount the virtual disks partition?

That is an interesting way to get at it. For whatever reason VMFusion only seems to let you emulate virtual disks as scsi disks and they mount at /sdx. I haven't played with trying to do this in parallels though so it is possible a scenario like that could work there.

I was able to take the disk to a friend's house and use his old tower which is now his media center. I got everything mounted okay but for some reason the edits I made to rc.net didn't do it. I can go back and try again though so I think I am good to go.

Thats strange that it only does scsi. I'm using VMWare workstation and it has the ability to add up to two IDE disks to a VM.

Glad to hear you have a resource.