Thread: Tivo changed the THD power supply design.

Tivo changed the THD power supply design.

I was playing around inside my THD (a new thread with details coming soon) and needed to verify the placement of a component. I remembered that when the THD was first released gizmolovers.com took it apart and took pictures. While viewing those pictures I realized the power supply in my unit is MUCH higher quality than the one pictured in the early production unit! The heatsink style and component count is immediately obvious. Pinout and connection type (14 pin molex) are the same so they should be interchangeable.

Take a look - Old unit first with production date of 15 jun 07 then mine which has production date of 12-aug-07.

More images of the early THD can be found here http://www.gizmolovers.com/photos/ti...review-photos/

the PS in that lower picture looks a *lot* like the PS in my Series 3

Really? I wonder if they are the same. According to this post http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=60264 The S3 has a grey 8v wire.

if anyone has their S3 apart in the near future can you create a PS pinout sheet with wire colors? I can make one for the THD. Even if the S3 does have a grey 8v wire we may be able to disable it and make it work inside a THD

In the lower picture, what are those wires in the upper left hand corner of the picture all about?
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

That is where I took the original combined SATA/Power cable and connected a power splitter to it. It was the easiest way to add two internal drives without cutting anything.

The plug is combined data and power. The Data portion is connected to nothing and shoved under the edge of the power supply so it wont rattle.

For the benefit of future searchers, the power supply for the original S3, the TCD648250, and the two different power supplies used in the S3 HD (TCD652160) and HD XL (TCD658000), are physically interchangeable, and the pinout of the plug that goes to the motherboard is the same EXCEPT for the gray wire on the 648 supply. You can put an HD supply into a 648 for test purposes (OLED display might not work), but I don't know what the gray wire would come into contact with (and what damage that might cause) in an HD or HD XL, so either don't use a 648 supply in one of those, or, if you know what you are doing and have done this sort of thing before and have the right tools, you can extract the gray wire pin from the plug and insulate the bejeepers out of it with good quality electrical tape (like Scotch 33+).
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.