Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Homieflash work on a modified THD?

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    Does that mean Homieflash only works with the SST39 and nothing else?
    It also works with the amd equivalents. I don't know why Intel chose different flash commands from the other vendors. I recommend you try my new version on your intel chip.
    It's not all bad. Later on when someone decides to flash their own Tivo they can look at this thread for updated tools and know for certain that Fboot only works with images which are less than 64k.
    Earlier threads had spelled out that amd&sst39 were the flash chips to buy. They are like $4...

Speaking of 64k, are you sure that intel's current ibautil limits the flash write to just 64k?
    Last edited by bcc; 12-18-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Today I picked up a pile of new flash chips to play with
    sst 29ee512
    sst 39vf020
    sst 39sf020
    sst 39vf512
    atmel at29co10a

I also almost bought an old S2 to salvage the right chip out of but I felt bad for ruining it

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    It also works with the amd equivalents. I don't know why Intel chose different flash commands from the other vendors. I recommend you try my new version on your intel chip.
    Earlier threads had spelled out that amd&sst39 were the flash chips to buy. They are like $4...
    Wow, that was quite nice of you to add the commands. I'll try it out and let you know sometime this weekend.

Speaking of 64k, are you sure that intel's current ibautil limits the flash write to just 64k?
    I am not sure, IIRC the utility didn't like foreign rom images. Fboot was the only one that let me flash essentially anything.
    Last edited by ciper; 12-20-2008 at 01:58 AM.

sst 29ee512
    sst 39vf512
    Those 64K parts are big enough for the e100 boot rom program, but too small for the s3/tivoHD boot room program.
    The sst 39v020 sounds promising; I assume that's 39vf020.

I also almost bought an old S2 to salvage the right chip out of but I felt bad for ruining it
    Scraping an old hacked tivo for its sst39 sounds reasonable to me, especially if it's a directv model
    Wow, that was quite nice of you to add the commands. I'll try it out and let you know sometime this weekend.
    Was easy enough to give it a shot. I'd like to know if it works on that intel 28F020 rom...
    I am not sure, IIRC the utility didn't like foreign rom images. Fboot was the only one that let me flash essentially anything.
    BTW, in earlier threads people have claimed fboot worked for them (no mention of a problem at 64k). Maybe try the fboot posted here http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=345

sst 29ee512
    sst 39vf512
    Those 64K parts are big enough for the e100 boot rom program, but too small for the s3/tivoHD boot room program.
    I wasn't able to look up the specifications when I got the chips. Ill take your word for it.

The sst 39v020 sounds promising; I assume that's 39vf020.
    Yes it was a typo - 39vf020. The datasheets I'm looking at now seem to show that the 39sv020 and 39vf020 are essentially the same part
    • Single Voltage Read and Write Operations
    – 4.5-5.5V for SST29SF020/040
    – 2.7-3.6V for SST29VF020/040
    • Low Power Consumption:
    – Active Current: 10 mA (typical)
    – Standby Current:
    30 μA (typical) for SST29SF020/040
    1 μA (typical) for SST29VF020/040
    • Fast Read Access Time:
    – 55 ns for SST29SF020/040
    – 70 ns for SST29VF020/040
    I'd like to know if it works on that intel 28F020 rom...
    Doing it as I type this. Fedora boots fricking slow compared to ubuntu btw.

Quote Originally Posted by fedora 10, n28f020
    [liveuser@localhost ~]$ su
    [root@localhost liveuser]# ifconfig eth0 down
    [root@localhost liveuser]# /media/disk/fed/eepro100-diag -B
    eepro100-diag.c:v2.13 2/28/2005 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
    http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
    Index #1: Found a Intel i82557/8/9 EtherExpressPro100 adapter at 0x2000.

BIOS ROM setup for read/write access
    Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
    '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
    or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.
    [root@localhost liveuser]# /media/disk/fed/homie/homieflash -f c4000000 -w /media/disk-1/256k
    Setting FLASH_START=c4000000
    flash id 89bd: Intel 28F020
    erasing...
    verifying erase...
    FATAL: erase verify mismatch at 00000001: got aa
    [root@localhost liveuser]#
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora 10, n28f001
    flash id 9292: unknown
    erasing...
    Segmentation fault
    I get the same results (different flash id) with the 39sf020
    BTW, in earlier threads people have claimed fboot worked for them (no mention of a problem at 64k). Maybe try the fboot posted here http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=345
    I'm fairly sure thats the version I used. I assumed they didn't have an issue because they were using it with smaller Tivo proms like from the early s2? I did an fc /b with the two files and they seem to be identical.
    Last edited by ciper; 12-20-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Allright now we have some additional data. I used the sst39vf020 and it takes a while on the programming step. It still gives an error but the non instant fail like on the other chips makes me wonder.
    FATAL: error writing to 00010000: wrote dd, got 09
    Isn't 00010000 the 64k barrier? hmm...

Ok even more strange. I just was able to successfully flash a different file without a problem. I will attach that file to this thread.
    [root@localhost liveuser]# /media/disk/fed/homie/homieflash -f c4000000 -w /media/disk/2765113e.old
    flash id bfd6: SST39VF020
    erasing...
    programming...
    verifying...
    success!
    Notice how that file is structured (hint, open in hex editor and search for TiVo multiple times and note the offsets...)
    Last edited by ciper; 12-20-2008 at 02:40 AM.

I believe we should look over the specifications of the Intel sb82558b because of this quote -

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/archive/msg04024.html
    i have an intel nic with an i82558 chip and 64kB flash (maximum). an
    i82559 based nic can contain up to 128kB flash.
    If the card itself has a 64kb limit I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Edit: Ok I found another two nics. One has the same sb82558b but with a slightly different revision and the other is a dual nic with two 82559!
    Last edited by ciper; 12-20-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Allright now we have some additional data. I used the sst39vf020 and it takes a while on the programming step. It still gives an error but the non instant fail like on the other chips makes me wonder.

Isn't 00010000 the 64k barrier? hmm...
    I think your PLCC socket may be having a problem with the address pin representing this boundary (pin a16).
    Ok even more strange. I just was able to successfully flash a different file without a problem. I will attach that file to this thread.
    That flash could have appeared to have succeeded as the contents of pin a16 wouldn't matter (the pattern repeats every 64k), so a write that failed at 64k would still look like a complete write...

Anyways, I see I failed at the intel write support. Here's another attempt. Note: Only works for the 28f020 not the 28f001bxt.

Ahh, I will try with the new homieflash in a moment. Right now I am booting up with the new nic and the 39sf020

I think the dual port NIC worked with the 39vf020. I'm reassembling the Tivo in a second.

Hmm, Tivo still acts as if the flash is corrupted. I will troubleshoot more but my Tivo originally came with rom 1.04 and all the images I am trying to use are 1.05 . I believe I should try with version 1.04 of the prom to reduce the number of variables.

With this new dual port NIC which as the later processor I am able to write past the 128k barrier with fboot. Problem is that the two chips are both 256k and fboot is doubling up the 128k image I am passing to it. I should check if homieflash is doing the same thing and if so could that cause a problem since the checksum would be wrong or some nonsense?

If anyone reading this would be willing to sell me a known working prom with version 1.04 on it get in touch with me. I'm getting worn out on this.
    Last edited by ciper; 12-20-2008 at 08:16 AM.

I just re-tested flashing using fboot and ibautil.
    Ibautil does in fact limit flash I/O to 64k
    Fboot (version 4.2, the one I linked to in prior post) on the other hand correctly identified the size of my SST39VF010 and correctly flash read&wrote all 128k.

This is with an e100 card that is an older rev. than what you've been testing.
    My e100 card says S82557 on the chip.
    I think the post about s82558 being 64k was confused and just meant that their s82558 came with a 64k blank and so was limited to that size. Not that there was a 64k limit in the board's hardware.

I also tested an sst37 with fboot and it is unable to correctly identify it, and assumes the size is 0, and so fails to write to it. ibautil is also unable to write to it. So I'm confused about your claim that you wrote to an sst37.

Remind me again why you need a tivohd prom image? Is it this:
    the original v1.05.C1 chip will not read the correct md5sum
    I bet if you read all 128k of the sst37 chip with homieflash you can get a good copy.

I'm fairly sure thats the version I used. I assumed they didn't have an issue because they were using it with smaller Tivo proms like from the early s2? I did an fc /b with the two files and they seem to be identical.
    All the s2 prom images I've seen, and even the s1 prom images, are over 64k in size (they fit in 128k). So I would assume those other users successfully flashed 128k with fboot.

I'm extremely happy right now. You have no idea how close I was to calling Tivo for out of warranty repair. The long story short is that all of my inserting and removing of the flash chips caused a lead on the socket to break free from the board (a bad solder joint). The problems above made me go in the wrong direction when the unit wouldn't boot. At the very last moment I decided to take out my multimeter and trace every pin on the socket which lead me to find the loose one. Sigh of relief!

You can ignore some of my speculation above. After working on the Tivo for an average of 4+ hours a day for 5+ days my mind started to get away from me. It also didn't help that I was up until 4am lol

I then took a good close look at both of my single port Intel NICs and found physical damage that existed prior to my attempts. These cards are now in the garbage.

In the next few days I will go back through and try to check what does and doesn't work then edit the first post to reflect this so people aren't confused.

BCC you are awesome. If I can ever return the favor please do not hesitate to ask.

So you *were* having physical problems with the address pins as I suggested. I assume your tivo hd is back up at this point.
    Would be good to know if homieflash 1.3 does successfully flash intel 28f010 chips; I think I fixed the problems from version 1.2. Also nobody has ever come back and reported whether 256k prom chips actually worked in tivos or not. The remainder of the prom, filled with 0xff bytes (all ones) would work I'd think.

If you know anything about retaining walls, I've got some Qs for you

My Tivo HD is currently running with the following 256k chip -
    SST
    mpf
    39vf020
    90-4c-nh
    0016328-d
    This was flashed under a Fedora 10 liveCD using the precompiled homieflash attached to post 37. The NIC used is a Compaq Dual port PCI-X with optional fiber GBIC attachment (removed). It has two Intel 82559 and a single PLCC-32 socket.

*The flash is actually filled with TWO copies of version 1.05 of the modified prom image. It is the image, followed by "FF" upto the 128k mark then another copy of the same modified prom followed by "FF" until the end of the chip.

I have not installed a modified kernel yet. I'm burnt out on Tivo mods at the moment and I got my Christmas present early - KDL-52XBR4

I will test write the Intel chips using Homieflash and let you know what it says. Oh and unfortunately although I have helped with home construction my expertise does not include retaining walls hehe.
    Last edited by ciper; 12-22-2008 at 09:45 PM.

*The flash is actually filled with TWO copies of version 1.05 of the modified prom image. It is the image, followed by "FF" upto the 128k mark then another copy of the same modified prom followed by "FF" until the end of the chip.
    If you just use stock homieflash, then it only reads&writes 128k with the -d and -w options, even though the flash chip or input file may be larger. So not sure why you think the 2nd 128k has a duplicate copy of the first 128k; I bet it's really just filled with 0xff.
    I have not installed a modified kernel yet. I'm burnt out on Tivo mods at the moment and I got my Christmas present early - KDL-52XBR4
    Enjoy, I still need to upgrade to full 1080p myself.
    I will test write the Intel chips using Homieflash and let you know what it says. Oh and unfortunately although I have helped with home construction my expertise does not include retaining walls hehe.
    It's only worth testing the 28F010/20 chips, the 28F001BX is harder to flash so I didn't code it up.