Thread: SD-DVR40 Need Question answered

SD-DVR40 Need Question answered

I know there are a couple threads for this topic already but they arent really answering my question. I just got a sd-dvr40 with a remote that I thought was for the directivo unit but its to another direct tv unit from my sister and all I want to do is be able to use it on my digital cable as a normal dvr or a digital vcr as some have called it with no sub. This thread here says it can be done (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/archiv...p/t-24097.html) but I am not sure if you have to hack the box before hand or anything. Plus when I turned the unit on it needed the phone line to activate but the unit has been used before but not in the last couple years. can someone give me a definite answer on whether or not I can use my unit like I want to or should I just take the hard drive out and try to make a homemade dvr with the spare comp I have at home?

Forget it. The box you have is a DirecTV DVR that can be used only with DirecTV service. It cannot handle cable. The thread you linked to is discussing a "standalone TiVo", which is a different beast. You can also not use the box without a subscription to DirecTV and DVR service.
    Steve

okay thank you very much Ill just use the drive as a spare in my computer then.