Thread: Series 2 Dtivo wireless network options?

Series 2 Dtivo wireless network options?

I recall there being a few options for wireless for some tivos, but don't recall if it is possible on a series 2 DTivo, or which USB 802.11b (or g) devices are "compatible". I searched but didn't find any info, but could have been using the wrong terms.
    Any links to the appropraite threads would be appreciated.

thanks

Try using google to search this site (go to the advance options and put dealdatabase.com in the domain field) - I've seen this answered often.

I can't remember if what the support of a stock DTivo is, but hacked you can do B or G or you could do what some have done and get an ethernet adapter and setup a wireless bridge between two access points (the bridge is off topic for DDB - I suggest heading over to the dd-wrt forums if you have APs that support that firmware).
    1 RCA DVR80 (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)
    1 Samsung SIR-4080R (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)

Quote Originally Posted by kadiir View Post
    Try using google to search this site (go to the advance options and put dealdatabase.com in the domain field) - I've seen this answered often.

I can't remember if what the support of a stock DTivo is, but hacked you can do B or G or you could do what some have done and get an ethernet adapter and setup a wireless bridge between two access points (the bridge is off topic for DDB - I suggest heading over to the dd-wrt forums if you have APs that support that firmware).
    I've been using a WRT54G as a wireless bridge for close to a decade now. It works great and you get the added advantage of being able to connect multiple wired devices to it for access to the wireless network. And you don't have to deal with messy wireless driver setups on the Tivo either.

EDIT: I should probably correct myself before someone points out the obvious: the WRT54G has only been around since December of 2002. Before that I used an ACTUAL wireless bridge - the WET11 - connected to a hub. I upgraded to the WRT54G at some point to get rid of the hub/upgrade to a switch and to go from B to G.

-psxboy
    Last edited by psxboy; 01-06-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: clear up date inconsistencies
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    I've been using a WRT54G as a wireless bridge for close to a decade now. It works great and you get the added advantage of being able to connect multiple wired devices to it for access to the wireless network. And you don't have to deal with messy wireless driver setups on the Tivo either.

-psxboy
    I've only had mine for about 4 years, but I 100% agree. I actually have 4 APs (1 primary and 3 bridges) - the two Tivos are in different rooms and I also have a PC in a 3rd room (36yo house - haven't gotten around to ripping into the walls to run cable ).
    1 RCA DVR80 (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)
    1 Samsung SIR-4080R (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)