Thread: I need an image from a THDXL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I need an image from a THDXL

Long story short - You can use the an image from a THDXL to upgrade a regular THD to a 1.5TB A drive. I need a copy since I do not own a THDXL (only THDs)

are you sure you need a special image i thought the series 3 and hd could handle 2tb size without anyting special.. cannot vouch for it i have s3's and have 1tb drives in them

All current tivo software versions have a kernel imposed limit of 1TiB per partition. I built a custom kernel (posted in the Files area) that removes this limit. I have run a THD on a 1.5TB drive with this custom kernel for long enough to fill the drive up, and it works fine.

The other alternative is to try to fill the 1.5TB disk *without* creating a partition > 1TiB. If you try to expand a normal THD image to 1.5TB, you'll cross the 1TiB partition size limit. If you start with a THDXL image, you will not, because the base image was sized for a 1TB disk.

I'm not sure if the THD and THDXL images are completely interchangeable, so you might need to load the THD swsystem slice into the THDXL image if you are going to use it on a THD.
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-05-2009 at 01:54 PM.

thanks jamie for the explanation. can i just take the kernel you posted and do the normal killinit or do you have to monte to boot into it.

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn View Post
    thanks jamie for the explanation. can i just take the kernel you posted and do the normal killinit or do you have to monte to boot into it.
    neither. you've got a hacked prom, dd away.

As mentioned above I am trying to get the partition layout of the THDXL so that I can use a 1.5tb drive in an unhacked THD.

Lets say for a moment the software is different. Couldn't I just DD all of the separate OS partitions from the Tivo HD drive onto the THD XL drive?

This information makes me even more anxious to try. I want to know if the THDXL software works on a THD! It would be great to get a THDXL image with the latest update so I could do some binary comparison between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    It would be great to get a THDXL image with the latest update so I could do some binary comparison between the two.
    the only difference is in the swsystem slice. after (readguide|strings|grep|diff|awk)'ing the two, there doesn't appear to be much of a difference.

a few .png images appear to be different, as well as references to loopsets.
    Last edited by jt1134; 01-06-2009 at 02:55 PM.

As jt1134 says, the differences are in MFS (swsystem slice), not in the OS partitions. It's possible the thdxl image will work find on an older thd. But it might be that the mismatch between swsystem slice and hw version will cause problems. Try it and let us know. It's easy enough to load the right swsystem slice (and loopset dependencies) in to generate a new image, if that is necessary. It just requires a hacked tivo.

In case anyone is interested I have uploaded a completely virgin THDXL image to our favorite FTP site