Thread: Divorce a B drive in an S1? Reduce capacity?

Divorce a B drive in an S1? Reduce capacity?

I have an S1 with two drives. I want to revert to a single drive. I don't care too much about the recordings but I'd like to retain the OS and hacks.

How can I easily migrate to a single drive?

Backup/restore

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    I have an S1 with two drives. I want to revert to a single drive. I don't care too much about the recordings but I'd like to retain the OS and hacks.

How can I easily migrate to a single drive?
    The easiest way would be to make a backup of the dual-drive system without recordings, (and its nice to have a backup anyway), and restore that backup onto a single disk, though it requires a spare disk or USB flash drive to hold the backup, and at least some comfort factor in pulling the disks out of your Tivo and with a Linux command line.

I'd recommend Hinsdale-How-To: http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to

Check the section on MFS Tools 2.0, look for "OPTION #2: BACKING UP A Two-Drive TiVo" followed by "Restore and expand in a single step using ONE of the following commands:" to put the image back on a single disk only.

You don't mention the age of the disks in your S1, but if they are more than a few years old, and with disk prices what they are, an even safer option would be to restore the backup onto a new disk, and keep the old ones on the shelf untouched for a bit, until you are sure the system is working properly on the new disk. The worst case otherwise could be restoring a broken backup over your only good disk image.
    Last edited by bitmap; 01-08-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: fix HTML

After all these years I don't know why but I thought you couldn't reduce capacity of the system in any way once it was increased.
    I wonder if WinMFS can turn a truncated backup into a single smaller drive as well?

The target drive isn't very old. IIRC the S1 I am modifying has a 500gb a drive and 200gb b drive and I plan to move everything to the 200gb b drive.

The reason behind this is to move someone away from their two satellite Tivos to a TivoHD in the main room and my old S1 in the bedroom. It was the only way the initial investment with a move to cable was manageable.

Back in the old days when we started hacking these S1s, that was true, as you'd have to dd all of the old partitions onto an equal or larger disk, but shrinking the existing MFS file space (on one or two drives) wasn't possible, until the Tivo MFS structure was better understood. I've never used WinMFS, but if it copies the individual fsids from the old disks into a new MFS partition it would probably work the same way, but I don't really understand all of the magic inside MFStools either.