Thread: Installing instacake 6.2a to SATA drive

Installing instacake 6.2a to SATA drive

I read the instructions for formatting a hard drive with instacake 6.2a. The instructions are for IDE / ATA drives. I plan on using an ATA to SATA adapter so I can use a 360GB SATA drive I have that is just collecting dust. I have an eSATA port on my laptop. Can I format the drive using an eSATA port?

The instructions are very clear about using IDE primary master secondary master etc. etc. etc. I don't have IDE on my laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT; Oh, also... Is there a comparison between 6.2a and 6.4a? I'm having trouble finding the difference. I have a Hughes SD-DVR80 DirecTV TIVO.

The IDE primary master secondary master etc. etc. etc are just so that the drives are in the same place as the instructions for people who aren't technically savvy. You may have to enable legacy SATA support in your bios and use /dev/sda or /dev/hdc in place of /dev/hda

Use fdisk -l (i think) to verify the drive paths.

6.x comparison

As to the differences in 6.2a and 6.4a, look to this thread, and from DTV
    In my opinion, there's no release past 6.2a that has any feature I need that I can't already do with the after-market mods i've put into my systems.

The major one is that MRV was replaced with HME.
    I prefer the MRV so this is the deal-breaker, with tivoserver on my media server and four MRV Tivos, but I believe you can get similar functionality using the MovieLoader app. Might be useful if you have an S3 Tivo to interoperate with.

Overlap protection is similar to endpadplus, except that it seems it can negatively pad a show that would otherwise not record because other tuners were busy during part of the showing.

6.4 has the remote scheduling and a recently deleted folder. TivoWebPlus is all the remote scheduling i need, and it has the deleted items folder.

If you do choose to stay at 6.2a, make sure you block upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by bitmap View Post
    The major one is that MRV was replaced with HME.
    I prefer the MRV so this is the deal-breaker, with tivoserver on my media server and four MRV Tivos, but I believe you can get similar functionality using the MovieLoader app. Might be useful if you have an S3 Tivo to interoperate with.
    Or a SA S2 with 9.x (or, presumably, later): they changed the MRV protocol, didn't they?