Thread: TiVo incorrectly handles resolutions or aspect ratios.

TiVo incorrectly handles resolutions or aspect ratios.

This is a copy of threads on TCF. Though it would be fun to discuss here as well since the percentage of techies are higher. Please see

The TiVo HD has the following behavior
    Native video format with Smart Screen ratio display
    Pros -
    4:3 SD content output at 4:3
    HD content output at 16:9
    Cons -
    Some menus in 480i while others in 720p causing resolution switches while navigating menus
    16:9 480i content also output at 4:3. requires TV remote to stretch back to its correct format

Native video format with 16:9 aspect ratio display
    Pros -
    All menus in 720p
    HD content output at 16:9
    16:9 SD content output at 16:9
    Cons -
    with full mode on TiVo. [b]4:3 SD content output at 16:9[b] which requires the TV remote to shrink the mislabeled video. You then have to unshrink the video when viewing a true 16:9 program
    with panel mode on TiVo. [b]4:3 SD content output at 16:9[b] but has reduced resolution because black bars are sent with the video signal.

This is a major issue for me because in the past I was able to put my TV remote away and have the display automatically shrink or stretch the displayed image automatically based on aspect ratio. I have three displays which support this. It's extremely handy for watching 16:9 content on a 4:3 display because you don't lose resolution outputting black bars, and on the flipside you can watch 4:3 DVDs (old tv shows) on a 16:9 set with no wasted resolution on black pillars.

So can anyone tell me how aspect ratio is flagged in a 480i video stream? Is it the resolution, 704 for 4:3 and 720 for 16:9? My reading online seems to point towards something else.
    Last edited by ciper; 01-10-2009 at 08:29 AM.