The torrent for supafly has no seeders, and my drive went belly up this morning. I can't find my backup.
I'd appreciate the help.
Go ask in the IRC. Eventually someone will help. The image is only 200mb
Thanks a lot. I walked by my computer the other day and noticed it was at 60% and climbing. Then I stood around and cheered it on
My S3 drive just went belly up. Found your torrent with the virgin image and am downloading it now.
I'm kind of a neophyte at this. Do you have a tool you recommend (mfstool or MFSlive or ?) to write the image back to a fresh drive?
Do you have a suggested command line I can use to write the image and expand the drive to its full 1 gig capacity?
Thanks very much.
I wanted to point out that MFSLive images are not compatible with MFSTools and vice versa.
SupaFly's image is good but there is a truely virgin image on the FTP site that is only 200mb. The FTP site also has a copy of Supaflys image in case anyone has trouble downloading the torrent.
I did know the two images were incompatible. Do you know what format Supafly's image is in?
Also, I would much prefer a 200 meg download to waiting for a 1.7 gig torrent, but I don't know whose FTP site you are talking about.
I am guessing that Supaflys will work with MFSLive (mfstools). I know for sure the 200mb virgin image is for WinMFS.
Hang around #tivo efnet for a while and I'm sure you will find what you need.
OK, I managed to get Supafly's 1.7 gig image downloaded and verified. Now I need to find a tool to use to restore it. The included text file has the following restore suggestion:
"Use the following command to restore to the SATA drive of your choice:
mfsrestore -s 127 -zxpi /mnt/tivo/Tivo.Series.3.TCD648250B.Virgin.Image.Supafly.mfs /dev/hdx
Where "x" is the S3 TiVo HD on your PC."
But when I boot from the MFSlive CD, there is no "mfsrestore" command. There is a "restore" command, but it doesn't have the same parameters available as MFSrestore. And if I boot from what I presume is the current mfstools (2.0?) disk, it won't recognize my sata drive, even if I place it in an external enclosure and hook it up as USB.
Also, I've read at least one thread which states that if I don't include the "-r 4" command on the mfsrestore command line, the new disk won't work. Any comments on that?
I know this is elementary for this forum, but I'm really stuck. I've been reading various forums for hours and hours now, and am no closer to a solution than when I started. And I'm starting to get "why don't you just send it back to TiVo" from my wife...
Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Well, I managed to stumble through it all, although I must say that SATA support in the "predefined" upgrade packages (like the one from MFSlive) are severely minimal. And I'm being kind here.
I finally threw up my hands and just got an IDE to SATA adapter, burned the image to a DVD, and booted the whole mess from an older machine where I removed the hard drives and put in a second CD/DVD ROM reader on the primary channel to handle burning Supafly's large virgin image. All the Linux stuff seemed MUCH happier with ATA devices to deal with.
The "restore" command in MFSlive does have the same options as mfsrestore. That was my mistake in assuming that the help screen would list the commands alphabetically.
Be aware that I had to go through the entire guided setup before the thing finally threw out error #51, indicating that the image was from a different serial number S3. I then did a clear and delete, and had to start over with the setup to marry the drive to the box.
Now for my adventure with getting Time Warner to reauthorize the cable cards. Oh, joy.
I'd like to thank Supafly for generously making the image available, and those who helped me along the way.
And a couple of VERY pleasant surprises:
The cable cards re-authorized and started working within moments of the box being connected to the cable feed. So no need to call TW and the mess that would create.
And the response and general ballistics of the machine have SIGNIFICANTLY improved. I have been complaining bitterly that with every software update, the machine seemed more and more sluggish, the shuttle modes more and more chunky, the 30 second skip would pause, then roll, then a second or two later the audio would come on. All that has pretty much stopped. My guess would be that the old drive had gotten wildly fragmented and a new drive cleaned that up. Doesn't say much for TiVo's drive housekeeping with respect to keeping the disk contiguous, considering how much idle time most machines have...
That means TW in your area is not handling security the way it was intended. My cable company does the same thing. Supposedly Verizon does this too. It makes it easy to move the cards between devices.
Called TW, they hit the cards a couple of times - nothing. So out came a tech. He called TW and got the cards remarried to the S3. He also said they had "changed the encryption this week" and that was likely the cause of my problem.
Turns, out, I find out this morning, what they had actually done was turn on the copy protection flag on every program. So now there is virtually no MRV for new recordings between the TiVos. What a pain. I had come to seriously rely on that feature.
I've been reading here, but the mod to bypass that seems daunting, between the hardware mod and having to redo the software mod every time the box gets updates.
I am not a happy guy right now.