Thread: DirecTV and TiVo... Together Again.

DirecTV and TiVo... Together Again.

OK Guys, so I haven't posted here in 3 or 4 years.... I've been busy. haha. Actually, I still have all 4 of my Sony T60s and my Series 2 DirecTiVo. They are still running fine. I see there are still some of my dear TiVo hacking friends here. Many of you helped me learn my early Linux, and I was able to help others. I eventually parlayed that knowledge into a job building and adminstering Linux Media servers globally for a large media company. Anyways, I have missed all of you a lot. I used to spend several hours here a day. Who knows, maybe those days are coming again.

That brings me to my topic. I just returned from CES in Las Vegas. While I was there I decided to stop by the TiVo Meeting rooms (They didn't have a booth). I got to talking to several of the developers, and they told me that since Murdock had sold DirecTv to Malone, they had inked a new deal to develop and provide DVRs for them, again. This might be old news to you guys, but for me it was great news, and I hadn't heard that yet. I have been undecided on which way to upgrade to HD. I really didn't want to use the DirecTv developed boxes. I was actually looking at trying to use an HD TiVo and connecting it to FIOS.

One developer said he didn't know when they would roll out, but another said that it would be March or so. That sounded really early to me, but who knows? I am just happy that TiVo will be providing, and hopefully we will have something new to play with.

Good to see you all. I just had to tell ya....
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

In a sorta related topic the whole Dish VS TiVo thing has progressed. More info can be seen here http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho....php?p=6989019

I want your Sony remotes if you ever get rid of them.
    Last edited by ciper; 01-12-2009 at 07:30 PM.

welcome back, there is some older info here:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59828
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR10-250 at 6.4a, networked, Superpatched, stock 250GB drive
    One HR23
    Patiently waiting for a new DirecTV/Tivo
    One AM21 hooked to the HR23

TiVo Fourth Quarter 2009 Results, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM PT

I'm hoping for a DTV update.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmmd View Post
    TiVo Fourth Quarter 2009 Results, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM PT

I'm hoping for a DTV update.
    and....? :P

Quote Originally Posted by shortkud View Post
    and....? :P
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=24
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR23

Yeah, basically late 2009. Boo!

Hopefully, they will be cool and use linux on a drive in sort of a pseudo open minded manner- rather than put whatever they create together onto flash and not allow you/us to modify as we see fit....!

What has troubled me too about going with one of Dtv's HD boxes is this "we know better than you" attitude. After all, if we pay our bills monthly, why do they care what enhancements we choose to make with these boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by pstgh View Post
    Hopefully, they will be cool and use linux on a drive in sort of a pseudo open minded manner- ........
    I think it will be locked down so tight it will never be cracked open by anyone. Programming of that ironclad kernel is probably what is taking so long. Otherwise why wouldnt D* have simply stuck mpeg4 tuners in the HR10-250 HD tivo?
    Verizon FIOS
    2- TivoHD units modified with 1TB drives.

Maybe because their software interface kind of sucks as compared to the Tivo interface???
    Sorry D*, love you anyways....

The HR10-250 was a tivo interface and a tivo kernel.
    Verizon FIOS
    2- TivoHD units modified with 1TB drives.

Quote Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
    The HR10-250 was a tivo interface and a tivo kernel.
    mine still is
    One HR23

lastest update from yesterday's conference call, which can be replayed here: 888-203-1112 in the U.S. and 719-457-0820 internationally. The Replay pass code is 4566217.
    Financial details are here: http://investor.directv.com/released...leaseID=467215

The Tivo news:
    Question:
    Could talk about where you are in your discussions with TiVo, about rolling out any new service?

Answer from DirecTV CEO:
    Sure, we've had an ongoing series of meetings with Tom Rogers and the TiVo team earlier this year. We're in the process of working with them. We've provided them specs for our box, and I think we expect them to have a box for us, an updated box, maybe the end of this year, or maybe early next year. I probably don't know the specific date that Tom's got targeted, but we're working closely with them, and certainly expecting to see a new box out of them that would work on DirecTV some time in the not too distant future.
    Follow-up question:
    Any thoughts on how the service or the features would differ from what the TiVo is rolling out now with RCN?
    Answer:
    You know, to be honest with you, we're all working on a lot of the same things. I mean, we've got demos that we've looked at internally that include television apps, that would enable you to look at YouTube on the television, that would enable you to do things with movies and photos, that do video on demand, so a lot of the same, what I'll call the connected experience across your screens. We believe is quite strategic, and it's something we'll talk about as we kind of complete our strategy later this year, but the good news is we've been working on this area over the last year or two, both with our HMC and our MRV, and you'll see more of that later this year. But to be honest with you, I didn't see anything in the functions and features, and we did see a demo of it, that was materially different in functions and features then the kind of functions and features we've been looking to build into our Home Media Center and our Connected Lifestyle Initiative.
    One HR23