Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trickeyplus addon package

Trickeyplus addon package

This package contains modules for viewing Caller-ID history, news reports and weather information, as well as a library for normalizing onscreen text. It requires tivo4mevo's trickeyplus.

Features:
    • run_module script allows user to set defaults such as time onscreen, foreground and background colors, preferred osd program
    • trickeypluslib.tcl provides functions to standardize screen output, which should allow other modules to be added easily
    • support included for out2osd, newtext2osd and text2osd
    • slideshow (show more than one screen of information) and clear screen functions

Installation:
    • Install trickeyplus
    • (Optional) get wakelan if you'd like to be able to wake up computers on your network
    • Unzip addons to trickeyplus directory
    • (Optional) Edit run_module to change any defaults (different default colors, delay time)
    • If this is your first time installing the addons, rename trickeyplus.conf.examples to trickeyplus.conf
    • Edit trickeyplus.conf to set your favorite shortcuts. Syntax is "NAME" "KEY COMBINATION" "TIMEOUT" "COMMAND". Command will take the form <<trickeyplusdirectory>>/run_module modulename options.
    • start trickeyplus

Switches (type ./run_module for list):
    • -d ##: number of seconds onscreen
    • -fg, -bg: foreground and background color. Valid colors: black white grey clear red orange yellow green olive turquoise blue purple
    • -osd: allows you to override onscreen display program. Text2osd fits more information but looks lousy
    • -allpages: versions > 0.2 show a slideshow if there's more than one page of output. If -allpages 0, show only first page.

/hacks/trickeyplus/run_module weather forecast 11787: gives forecast for zip 11787
    /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module weather current12345 -d 15 -fg white -bg blue: shows current weather for 15 seconds, white text on blue background
    /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module cidtv 7 -osd text2osd: show last seven calls, using text2osd

For any switch not set the program uses the defaults set in run_module, so go ahead and ignore them if you like.

Modules:
    • cidtv - I originally wrote this at the request of a Trickey for series 1 user. It's a subset of my cidrss program for Tivowebplus 2.1, and as configured shows the last five calls. To show more (if your screen will fit it) simply include the number of calls as an argument, ie: /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module cidtv 10
    • weather - uses the Weatherbug API, so it should be a reliable feed. Provides current conditions and forecast for any zip (syntax above)
    • news - displays news updates using the Reuters RSS feeds. Available categories are: business, entertainment, international, politics, sports, tech, usnews, topnews (default). Just drop it in the trickeyplus directory and add a shortcut to trickeyplus.conf, ie:
      run_module news usnews
      I'd recommend using text2osd, since it fits so much more text on screen. You can add that to the shortcut:
      run_module news tech -osd text2osd
    • menu - shows the current shortcuts. I mapped this to "clear,clear,clear" to make it easy to remember.
    • cls - clear the screen. It's mapped to exit, exit, exit and would even work with other programs that display text (such as TWP 2.1's Screentext module.)
    • viewfile - rudimentary file viewer. Specify 'tail' to see the end of the file, ie: /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module viewfile /var/log/cron.log tail

Finally, many thanks to alldeadhomiez for routerplus, tivo4mevo for trickeyplus, and btux9 for 'has' function (as well as anything else I might have nicked from TWP)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by djl; 03-28-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: new version 0.2.00
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

A bit about osd programs

All Tivos come with text2osd, but the output from that program leaves a lot to be desired. For that reason, the addon scripts look for out2osd and newtext2osd before dropping back to use text2osd. Out2osd comes with ncid and works well, although some of the colors seem a little washed-out on my TV. Newtext2osd hasn't been supported for a long time, but also looks good. Whichever one you use, make sure it's available on the path; otherwise, the addons won't be able to find it.
    Out2osd and newtext2osd (I think) also support truetype fonts, but I'm not using those for the simple reason that it's murder to line up columns.
    Last edited by djl; 01-20-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Graphic weather page

I also messed around with doing a graphical version of the weather page with a 'fly' script. The big problem was the font; it's not very readable. Does anyone have experience with that program (I used the one from Xybre's package)?

trickeyplus

I am having trouble getting this to work, I followed the instructions how to install, I can see info if I enter a command prompt, but I don't know where to start it, and how to view it? Help please!

I need a few more details: what info do you see at the command prompt? Do you see anything on screen when you run one of the modules? The addons don't need to be loaded in advance, but you need to have trickeyplus installed and running if you want to use your remote to get this stuff on screen (which is the whole point, anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by spnewman View Post
    I am having trouble getting this to work, I followed the instructions how to install, I can see info if I enter a command prompt, but I don't know where to start it, and how to view it? Help please!

trickey

ok I got it to work if I enter command prompts ex. ./ menu.tcl or ./ weather.tcl, which then displays on the screen, Where is the command prompt to start?

I'm still not sure what you're asking, exactly. The instructions are in the first post, but I'll try to explain it differently:

• Trickeyplus is a program that lets you assign key combinations on your remote to run programs on your Tivo. It provides the same function for Series 2 Tivos that an old program called Trickey did for Series 1. You need to install Trickeyplus and get it working correctly before you do anything else. A link to the thread is in the first post.
    • Copy this library into the Trickeyplus directory (it will overwrite a file named trickeyplus.conf).
    • The file called run_module has all the user defaults. Changes are optional.
      PHP Code:
      ########## User switches ##########
      delay=10 ;# time onscreen
      fg=white
      bg
      =red
      # supported colors are: black white grey clear red orange yellow green olive turquoise blue purple
      osd=out2osd ;# out2osd, newtext2osd or text2osd.  MUST be on the path
      ########## User switches ########## 
    • trickeyplus.conf is where your key combinations are stored. This is how you do stuff with the remote.
      PHP Code:
      #Name        Keys             Timeout  Command
      Menu         clear,clear,clear 10      /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module menu
      CID          clear
      ,num7,clear  10      /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module cidtv
      Curr_weather clear
      ,num9,clear  10      /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module weather current 20001
      Forecast     clear
      ,num8,clear  10      /hacks/trickeyplus/run_module weather forecast 20001
      #Wakeup      clear,num0,clear  10      /hacks/bin/wakelan 00:00:00:00:00:00 
      Note the syntax: run_module modulename switches

If you installed to a directory other than /hacks/trickeyplus, you'll have to change each of the lines in trickeyplus.conf. Unless I'm mistaken, trickeyplus.conf has to have the full path for each command. ./ won't work. (Tivo4mevo?) Also, you'll want to put your own zip code in each of the weather lines.

• If Trickeyplus is running, restart it.

That's pretty much it. Once you've done all that, pressing "clear 8 clear" on your remote will give you your local weather forecast, "clear 9 clear" is your current conditions, etc. Sorry if the installation is a bit unwieldy (although if you put it in the default directory it's really not a big deal.) Has anyone else had success with it so far?

For me, Caller-ID and weather were the two biggies, but if anyone has a suggestion for another module I'm willing to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by spnewman View Post
    ok I got it to work if I enter command prompts ex. ./ menu.tcl or ./ weather.tcl, which then displays on the screen, Where is the command prompt to start?
    Last edited by djl; 02-10-2009 at 10:14 AM.

news feed

This module displays news updates using the Reuters RSS feeds. Available categories are: business, entertainment, international, politics, sports, tech, usnews, topnews (default). Just drop it in the trickeyplus directory and add a shortcut to trickeyplus.conf, ie:

run_module news usnews

I'd recommend using text2osd, since it fits so much more text on screen. You can add that to the shortcut:

run_module news tech -osd text2osd
    Last edited by djl; 02-07-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: cant spel

New version 0.1.10

I posted a new version (0.1.10) at the top of this thread. It includes the news module and a new 'clear screen' shortcut. Also, the installation has been simplified: there's no longer any need to specify the installation directory in run_module.

Thumbs up

Very cool. Thanks for your work. I wish I Could help with the graphics, but I am not familir with 'fly.'
    9 - HDVR2's - 300 gig , networked, Zippered & Tweaked
    2 - Phillips HDR312 - CCTV DVR, 300 gig, networked
    TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, etc.

New version 0.2.00

New in this version (download in post #1):
    • Slideshow - modules that output more than one screen of information will now cycle through the screens automatically. To skip to the next one without waiting, use the 'clear screen' function (exit exit exit). If you'd rather have the old behavior (show the first page only), set -allpages to 0.
    • Viewfile - rudimentary file viewer. Use 'tail' switch to see end of file.

BTW, thanks Moosh . The problem with fly is that I can't find any information about using fonts other than the built-in one.

Here's a fix to run_module, if you're having any trouble with the menu function. Also, in version 0.2 the path to cidcall.log is wrong (I forgot to change it back after I finished testing a feature.) You'll probably want to change it back to /var/log/cidcall.log.

Thumbs up

Works like a champ.

Also, I tried it on another DTiVo that runs NCID as a client and set the log file location to ftp the log from the server. It, too, works like a champ.

Good work! Thanks.
    9 - HDVR2's - 300 gig , networked, Zippered & Tweaked
    2 - Phillips HDR312 - CCTV DVR, 300 gig, networked
    TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, etc.

Great, I'll officially remove version 0.1 then. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoosh View Post
    Works like a champ.

Also, I tried it on another DTiVo that runs NCID as a client and set the log file location to ftp the log from the server. It, too, works like a champ.

Good work! Thanks.

does not work on dtivo 6.2a. Says its looking for xml?

bash-2.02# cd /hacks
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# ./trickeyplus
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# ./weather.tcl
    can't read "xml": no such variable
    while executing
    "regsub -all {(/aws:[^>]+>)} $xml "\\1\n" xml"
    (procedure "current" line 6)
    invoked from within
    "$action $zip $apicode"
    (file "./weather.tcl" line 91)
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02#
    Last edited by darrin75; 10-06-2009 at 07:27 PM.