Thread: guided setup telnet

guided setup telnet

Is it possible to telnet into the Tivo when it is in Guided Setup?

I am having the issue others are reporting with the Series 1 where it fails during download of program data. I read that a possible solution is to delete certain files. However, I cannot connect when I tried to telnet in. (It worked before.) I thought maybe the reason I can't telnet in is because I am in Guided Setup. Is this true?

I tried a serial connection and it did not work, but I am not sure if this Tivo was ever set up to do a bash prompt over serial.

Is there another option besides pulling the drive?

Thanks,

Brenda

You didn't give all of the information.

I assume the unit was hacked already and you did a "Clear and Delete Everything" ?

The unit is a lifetime Series 1 that has an image from PTVUpgrade. It has a TurboNet card installed but I don't have broadband so I connect with dialup. I added files such as TivoWeb. If PTVUpgrade doesn't enable bash over serial then I don't have that because I don't think I added that.

Telnet worked fine until I tried to do a Guided Setup and it won't complete the download of Program data.

There are many users writing in on Tivo Community about having problems connecting with Tivo to do Guided Setup or completing regular daily calls. It will go partway and then die with the message "Downloading Failed Call interrupted". Here is one of the threads about the topic:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=7028395

If you call Tivo you will probably just be told that the problem is you and not them. But some tech support people are said to know about the issue.

People are saying that even if you restore an image, the same problem will come back eventually. I think the thread that I read that on was on Deal Database.

I can't do a Clear and Delete Everything because I am stuck in Guided Setup. I am already past the option where you can choose that. It won't let me go back any farther.

I thought that if I could at least get in through Telnet I could delete the log files like a post on DD mentions. That way I would not have to pull the drive. I can't get in, so I thought maybe that was because I am on Guided Setup.

Brenda

How did you get into guided setup in the first place?

I was having the intermittent problems that other Series 1 owners are describing in calling Tivo. I was just assuming my modem must be failing. I would get through after a few tries.

I did not know at this time that there was an issue with other people too.. I thought it was just my modem.

Then we had a change in service from the Comcast where they said that DTA boxes were available that they would be giving to everyone in the area anyway, so they let us have ours early because we called for a different reason. So now I needed to rerun Guided Setup because we did not have a box before. I went to do a Guided Setup just as anyone would in this case. (I did not know about others getting stuck in it at this point.)

I could not complete the Guided Setup. I thought I would check online to see if others had the problem but I was sure it would just be my modem going bad. I was shocked to see that others are having problems connecting with Series 1 either to do daily updates or Guided Setups.

Of course, I am not saying that every Series 1 owner has this issue.

Brenda

out of setup but telnet still doesnt work

I was able to get out of Guided Setup by pulling the drive and renaming the log directory. I then had to make 2 calls.

I have read others have fixed the call interrupted error this way, but it eventually comes back.

Right now, I still can't telnet. Now there is no light for the Tivo on the router. Maybe this is because it is still doing the 4-8 hour processing thing. If not then I have a deeper problem.

Sounds like your network drivers are not installed.

Get a copy of the kernel logs and check.

fixed

Thanks Ciper for the help

I rebooted the Tivo after the data got processed from Guided Setup. This made the router light come back on but I still could not telnet.

I had to mess around with rebooting stuff and tinkering with the router settings until it eventually started working.

I know at one point the router had been unplugged but when I have unplugged it before I have not had to set it up again.

I can't say what caused the telnet problem, or what I did that fixed it.

So the moral of this thread is if you get stuck in Guided Setup, you can get out of it by deleting your log directory at /var/log. (I renamed mine in case something went bad.) Also, note I still had to call multiple times even after renaming the directory.

And if getting stuck in Guided Setup makes your telnet quit working, just keep messing around rebooting etc until you get the router to work.. because I did not have to reinstall files or anything to get it to work. (Note the Guided Setup and telnet problems might not be related but they both occurred at the same time.)

I think that getting stuck in Guided Setup with a "Downloading Failed Call interrupted" error is the same issue as described in the thread about Service Unavailable...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=60316

The reason I started a separate post was because I thought there was also a good chance it was not the same issue. (For example, the error message was not the same.)
    Last edited by brendag4; 01-30-2009 at 03:13 AM. Reason: clarity

update

I am still getting error messages and calls do not complete all the time.

On another forum I saw someone report that he also lost telnet when he got stuck in Guided Setup. So this shows that it is not just me.

I am posting this so that others will know to be prepared that if you go into Guided Setup you might lose your ability to telnet in to the Tivo.