Thread: Why hack SA TiVo Series 2

Why hack SA TiVo Series 2

I used the zipper along with instant cake on my Dtivo box and love it.

I am planning on buying a Stand Alone TiVo S2 from tivo.com and with tivo2go you can extract your shows to your pc and burn to dvd, so what are the benifits of hacking the SA Tivo boxes. Does this get around paying the 12.95/mo suscription fee ?

I will be using this with direct tv. If i buy from tivo.com and the hack gets around the monthly fees i won't want to pay them, but will i be required to if i buy directly from tivo ?

The ability to use TTG and archive shows to your PC/DVDs reduces the reasons to hack a tivo. The fact that most (all?) current tivos require replacing a (soldered) PROM makes hacking more difficult/expensive.

You probably don't need to hack your tivo. Have you considered getting a DVR from DTV? You'll get dual tuners, better recording quality and the subscription cost is only $6 /month.
    Last edited by newbie; 02-04-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Hack it so that you can run the latest version of TiVoWebPlus which has too many features to mention.

I personally really like the ability to reorder season passes without having the system stuck for a minutes straight.

There are no hacks discussed here relating to using a Tivo without subscription.

For much less than the cost of a new S2 SA, you can get a used S2 DTivo off ebay, and hack to be able to extract video as Ty files, which you can then convert to MPEG to burn to DVD. Stay away from the Directv R10, it requires a PROM mod, but most S2 DTivos can be hacked without hardware mods.
    (there are plenty of threads on how to do it)

If you already have one DTivo with DTV, adding a second one is exactly the same cost as adding a standalone receiver, and you get dual tuners.

You'll note my favorite model in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    You'll get dual tuners, better recording quality and the subscription cost is only $6 /month.
    I have to agree with that. The SA Tivo connects to the DTV receiver via RCA and Tivo tells me that RCA is digital but i know it's not, its analog. The shows are stored on the Tivo as digital and then pass through a analog cable ( Composite,component and Super video ) to the SA Tivo and then you extract the shows with lower quality.

Clipper : I have TWP on my Phillips DSR 7000 and would like to upgrade it to the latest version. Do you know of any tutorials on how to do the upgrade. I ran zipper on the tivo back in April of 2006 and forgot what i learned back then.

Bitmap : I read someplace that Directv isn't activating these units anymore. I'll have to call and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Phe0nix View Post
    Clipper : I have TWP on my Phillips DSR 7000 and would like to upgrade it to the latest version. Do you know of any tutorials on how to do the upgrade.
    I assume you were talking to me LOL
    If the version is new enough you can upgrade it right through the GUI. There is an update page on one of the tabs which even links back to the website where you can download the new version as a package.

Sorry i got your nic wrong. I have TWP 1.2.1 and don't see the option to upgrade. Wife nagging at me to get off the computer to go out to eat. Check back later.

Thanks for the reply

If you are already running a later version of TivoWebPlus then you can use the "Update" facility found within the "more..." menu. Simply download one of the packages from this site and then use this module to perform a "smart" update (all your settings and configurations will remain as they were).
    http://thomson.tivo.googlepages.com/tivowebplus2

Direct TV Tivo..

Can a Direct TV Tivo be used with dish network?

Probably a stupid question but I just recently purchased a series 2 dual tuner, tcd649080 off eBay for use with my dish network box.. but if the direct-tv tivo is easier to 'hack' ill just sell off the one I bought and buy the direct-tv tivo.. I need to get shell\ftp access.. and would prefer not having to pay the $150 or so to have it socketed and re-prom'd.

Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by marcusrab View Post
    Can a Direct TV Tivo be used with dish network?

Probably a stupid question but I just recently purchased a series 2 dual tuner, tcd649080 off eBay for use with my dish network box.. but if the direct-tv tivo is easier to 'hack' ill just sell off the one I bought and buy the direct-tv tivo.. I need to get shell\ftp access.. and would prefer not having to pay the $150 or so to have it socketed and re-prom'd.

Marcus
    Smartass answer: Sure! You can set the Dish receiver on top of the DirecTiVo. Or you can use the DirecTiVo as a footrest, a beer can holder, or even a doorstop.

Serious answer: No. DirecTiVos lack the input circuitry to accept analog signals.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    Smartass answer: Sure! You can set the Dish receiver on top of the DirecTiVo. Or you can use the DirecTiVo as a footrest, a beer can holder, or even a doorstop.

Serious answer: No. DirecTiVos lack the input circuitry to accept analog signals.

PlainBill
    Right on, Thanks for the info..

Anyone still doing prom mods? Is the going price still $100+shipping or are other people doing it cheaper?

Marcus

More Questions...

So, After reading this thread.. and reading a bunch of "newbie" guides over the past few days.. learning a bit about why people hack.. im asking myself what hacks are valuable ..

I have a series 2, Dual Tuner, tcd649080.. Im getting it socketed to allow FTP\Telnet access..

That being said.. past FTP\Telnet access.. what purposeful hacks exist?

TivoWebPlus is the only hack mentioned in this thread worthwhile but with my Tivo Subscription.. and putting it on my home network, im able to schedule recordings from tivo.com so that essentially negates tivowebplus..

Are there any other worthwhile\cool hacks?

Im not asking anyone to talk me through anything.. just looking for other avenues to pursue!

Look forward to more reading!

Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by marcusrab View Post
    TivoWebPlus is the only hack mentioned in this thread worthwhile but with my Tivo Subscription.. and putting it on my home network, im able to schedule recordings from tivo.com so that essentially negates tivowebplus..
    No. TWP does far more than just schedule recordings. Too many items to mention but for example you can reorganize your season passes without having the box stop working for two minutes straight. You can view the logs without starting up telnet and using a command line text editor. If your unit is hacked already why don't you try TWP even if you think you won't need it?

I'll help you with the installation.
    1. tar xvzf tivowebplus-v2.1.b3-090121.tgz (that installs it)
    2. TivoWebPlus/tivoweb & (that runs it)

Another great hack is the live TV buffer adjustment. I personally prefer to have two hours of buffer because 30 mins is just crap. If no other hacks existed for the TiVo HD I would do the prom mod solely for the live buffer adjustment.

Thank you for your reply, Cipher.

I will do some reading about all the benefits\features of tivowebplus tonight..

The tivo went out today to be socketed so I have a couple days to read up.. Im familar with Linux (Ubuntu) so ill just throw the bad boy in my linux box when I get it back and try out the tivowebplus once I learn exactly how to setup and support (to an extent) the system.

Thanks again for the suggestion, I shall go get my read on!

Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post

Another great hack is the live TV buffer adjustment. I personally prefer to have two hours of buffer because 30 mins is just crap. If no other hacks existed for the TiVo HD I would do the prom mod solely for the live buffer adjustment.
    Ahhhh, I see.. so when your watching tv and want to rewind\pause.. the tivo is currently limited to 30 minutes buffer.. hacking it to 2 hours is a possibility.. ok, I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for the tip!

Marcus